The AiR Collections Archives
An artist can be anyone: an anthropologist, a spy, taxidriver, stockbroker and so much more. This collection focuses on embedded artists and residencies that are 'undercover' participants blending in a community, a system or a company. Get into the mood here.
- Heathrow Airport
- the British Library
- Crossrail Limited
- Luxury hotels
Read the Undercover AiR Collection here.
This issue focuses on the roadtrip: a virtual AiR roadtrip with google streetview from Oysterville on the West Coast to New Orleans on the Gulf Coast. Interested in driving this route yourself? It is 3,967 mi, 64 hours of driving; please see the right column for directions. Get into the mood here.
The Roadtrip goes from Willapa Bay AiR (Washington State) to May Residency (Louisiana).
Read the AiR Roadtrip here.
This Film AiR collection offers you an eclectic selection of residency programs, in which film is either in the center, or sneaking in at the margin. From Do It Yourself community environments (no.w.here) to fully equipped facilities (Banff), residencies show that artists can do anything with film: roaming, researching, discussing, copying, and yes, even burning. Get into the mood here.
- Kran Film
- San Francisco Film Society's Filmhouse
- La Bande Vidéo
- Links to other residencies, funding schemes, festivals and other resources for artists wanting to jump into the world of film-making!
The Sustainers looks at an inspiering and dedicated wave of thinkers, researchers, actors, collaborators and pioneers dealing with sustainability in multiple ways.
- Centre for Alternative Technology
- ISLAND Hill House Residency
- Cambridge Sustainability Residency
- Bamboo Curtain Studio
- Guapamacátaro Center for Art and Ecology
- links to articles, researches and guides from Translocal, Julie's Bicycle, the Alliance of Artists Communities, ASEF, etc.
This issue focuses on artist residencies + activism. This collection can be seen as a starting point; a place for plural views and stories on this theme. An Air Collection is long; either meant for hour-long read or just for you to pick out what interests you.
- Townhouse Cairo
- The Silent University
- Daar Residency
- Design Studio for Social Intervention
- and many more...
This issue focuses on the water cycle -from ice to steam- and how artists in residence relate to this. We have prepared a collection of 14 artist in residence stories, opportunities and calls related to water in all its forms for you.
- Centre for Environmental and Marine Sciences
- SOMA residency program
- Jentel Artist Residency
- Beppu Project
- Hotel Mariakapel
- Cheng Long Wetlands
A daily ritual can be seen as 'closing the gap between art and life, many contemporary artists incorporate everyday rituals, from kissing to cooking to teaching and talking, into their performances' as mentioned in the intro of a radio interview at The Museum of Modern Art; or as 'somewhat deadening to the senses, because it promotes a familiarity with the world that allows one to tune out essential information.' as artist Scott Benefield beliefs.
This issue focuses on daily rituals.
- Do artists in residence recreate new daily rituals for themselves while being in residence or rather stick with their familiar routines?
- What are these rituals and are they important?
"Thinking about artists-in-residence experiences in urgent situations." Trans Artists / Platform AiR NL organized a meeting on May 22 in Amsterdam for artists and organizers of artist-in-residence programs about facing the unforeseen, with a focus on Japan post 3/11.
- How can AiR organizers continue working in a situation of urgency?
- How can artists prepare for working in an unstable environment?
- How to assist artists who come from unstable situations?
- Empac: creative exploring
- EKWC: laboratory in ceramics and design
- Art Serde: interdiciplinary research group
- Verbeke Foundation: culture, nature and ecology
- SymbioticA: biological science
- The STUDIO for creative enquiry
- Fogo Island Arts Corporation
- Cape Farewell
- Cill Rialaig Project
- The Island Residency
- Rabbit Island
- Visual Arts in Rural Communities
- Nes Artist Residency
- My Island
- In DUMBO
- Alone on the rooftops
- Interview with Tomaz Hipólito at the New Museum cafe
- A day at Prospect Park
- Blasting Artspace
- Rainbow oh Rainbow
- Coincidental Table Dance
- New Dehli Mists
- Green Cloud over the city
- Galaxy Jacket
- Animation Courses at School for Visual Arts
- The edg of the world
- New works & Berlin winters
- Are we looking at the same moon?
- Graham's construction zone
- Nasa's first and only artist-in-residence (The end of the moon)
- Pépinières interviews
- TransArtists abroad
- Cemeti Art House
- Indonesian stories
- HIAP Curatorial Residency
- 3331 Artist and Curator Residency
- Curating Contemporary Art, Zurich University of the Arts
- CCA Kitakyushu Research Program
- De Appel Curatorial Programme
- Banff International Curatorial Institute
- Art School of Ideas
- Border Art Residency
- Thapong Visual Art Center
- BAR International
- FAAP Artistic Residence Program
- Road by CAPACETE
- Cultural Mapping Brazil
- Favela Painting
- book and film tips
- courtship display
- Don Quijote morse code
- kiss of a lifetime
- In the salt mines
- book tips and more!
- The Form of Practical Memory
- No Money, No Problem
- Headlands Center for the Arts
- Union Bank Art Center
- Short list of financially fully covered residencies
- SVA summer residencies
- Trailerpark summer academy
- Summer design & Intervention workshops
- Life at Woodstock Byrdcliffe Colony
- Literary seminars
- to walk the city
- the urbanbivouac
- how to get lost in New York
- what you can do with the city
- book tips and more!
- the factory
- the swimmer
- the speaking object
- the cloudcar
- in the lab
- On Sunday it rained
- Hello and welcome to my studio. Ok, it's a garage
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Diary in research
- Postcards from the road
In the Arctic Circle, close to the ice-covered ocean and under a sky full of optical illusions, artist residencies offer a great base camp for artistic expeditions.
- Jyväskylä Centre for Printmaking
- BAR International
- Nummer 9
- Sea monsters
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- The Cairo Nile crocodile
- Wolfs are waiting in the mountaintops
- Sofia stork nest rooftops
- Woodcraft and Stone Carving
- Printmaking, handmade paper
- and more!
- Mesure made residency
- Turkish Bath
- Lower East Side Tenement Museum
- Fresh Concrete
- Mobile museum
- The will of Isabella Stewart Gardner
- Victoria & Albert Museum
- Roswell & UFO
- Holy Grail
- Transylvanian bat
- Trondheim troll
- Yeti spotting
- Footpaths to Creativity Center
- Greatmore Studios
- Altos de Chavon
- Aland Archipelago Guest artist Residence
- Anam Cara
- Seaside Institute
- Nordic AiR Bergen
- CPH AIR
- Baltic center for writers and translators
- New Delhi
- Mexico City
- Sao Paulo
- New York City
- OMI International Art Center
- Harvest Work
- International institute of Electroacoustic Music
- The Pharos trust
- Centre d'Arte i Natura de Farrera
- Olympics in Beijing