Open Call: ARCUS Research 2022
ARCUS Project will launch a short-term residency program, ARCUS Research, starting in June 2022. ARCUS Research is a self-funded program that offers an uninterrupted time and contemplative environment for creative experimentation, in-depth fieldwork, and research for practitioners and professionals in art and other cultural fields, including artists, curators, researchers, university educators, doctoral candidates, or writers. The program provides participants from around the world with valuable time and space to reflect, unwind, and nurture the creative process.
One-month residency: 1 or 2 participants for each period
- Friday, June 10‒Saturday, July 9, 2022
- Tuesday, July 12‒Wednesday, August 10, 2022
Two-month residency: 1 or 2 participants
- Friday, June 10‒Wednesday, August 10, 2022
- One-month residency: JPY250,000
- Two-month residency: JPY500,000 (tax included)
The fee includes studio space, accommodation, and basic consultation and orientation at the beginning of the residency program. A bicycle is provided. Participants are welcome to join a museum/gallery tour in Tokyo specifically designed and guided by either a director or coordinator during their stay. As an option activity, participants are invited to the “Show & Tell” salon to present their work and share projects with the local community at the end of the residency,
The applicant must:
- be a practitioner or other professional in a cultural and art-related field, including an artist, curator, researcher, or writer.
- not be enrolled at an educational institution during the program period unless a PhD program.
- be in a state of good health and able to carry out daily activities on their own.
- have English-language ability proficient enough to communicate with staff.
The following materials should be compiled in one PDF (A4 size) in a folder named “Last name_First name” (e.g., Smith_David) and compressed into a Zip file. The PDF file must not exceed 6 MB. Email the file to [email protected] with “2022 ARCUS Research Application” in the subject line.
- Application form: Please download from the ARCUS Project website and complete.
- Two references: please include their name, title, institution, and email. Short-listed candidates may be asked to provide letters from their references.
- Curriculum vitae: max. 3 pages.
- A project proposal (max. 800 words) that describes the intended focus of your residency. Proposals may include specific projects to develop or complete (e.g., a publication, book, artwork, etc.) or to research a particular topic, in advance of writing or creating a work of art.
- Work samples: These should include 5 works with a caption (title, date, medium, and dimensions/duration for each work) and a brief description (50 words) of each work. If you wish to include video works with your application, please upload the files to a video hosting website such as YouTube and Vimeo, and then include the link(s) in your application.
Applications must be submitted by email no later than Friday, December 24, 2021, by 23:59:59 (JST). Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. We cannot accept applications via fax or postal mail.
For more details, please find the information sheet attached, and visit the ARCUS Project website. For inquiries, please use the contact form available online.