Open Call: International AIR by Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio
Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio invites international artists to their 2-month-long AIR program.
The first activity of Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio that appeared in the public realm in May 2014 included the Artist in residence (hereafter AIR), and it coincided with the Sapporo International Art Festival held in the same city. Since its seminal year, Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio has delivered the AIR program with a stipend for international artists working in the field of visual art. This AIR program only happens in wintertime and is arranged by the program director and by AIS Planning – a general incorporated association that manages the facilities of SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO. In 2021, in accordance with measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, AIR is accepting remote participation (online residency) where the physical presence of the overseas artists is not required. The program will move to the period between the end of summer and the autumn.
Through this AIR opportunity, the invited artists will research Sapporo/Hokkaido in collaboration with SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO, culminating in new works/projects. Depending on the progress of the works/projects, the end results will be presented in either Sapporo or Hokkaido during the final stage of the program.
Number of artists: 2 (people or groups) artists who are mainly in visual arts field
Application period: April 29 (Thu) to June 25 (Fri), 2021
Announcement of the selected artist: July 11 (Sun)
Participants will be selected by SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIOS Open Call Selection Committee.
AIR program period: 60 days / August 31 (Tue), 2021 to October 29 (Fri), 2021
AIR end result presentation (planned period): October 16 (Sat) to 24 (Sun), 2021
Depending on the content of the artwork/project, the most suitable format will be chosen for presenting the final result and this presentation is organized in SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO or in an online format. When the exhibition format is chosen, it is possible to extend the presentation period.
1) Have a nationality other than Japanese and live in a country other than Japan. (Foreign artists living in Japan and Japanese artists living overseas are not eligible.)
2) Be able to communicate in either English or Japanese with a staff, colleague artists and the local community.
3) Be able to concentrate on their research and the program activities for the full period of 60 days.
4) Be able to understand and follow the aim of the International open call program and proceed with their autonomous activities during their stay.
5) Be able to find the best space (for your temporary stay and work) during the residency period in your moveable area, in the city, in the country or in the region.
6) Preferably not have previously participated in an AIR program in Japan.
7) There are no restrictions on age or gender. When applicants are students, postgraduate level is required.
Please submit through an online application form. After sending the online application form, applicants will receive an automatic response indicating reception of the online forms. If you do not receive it, please contact the organizers.
1) Personal information.
2) Artistic activities. (cv, portfolio and website URL)
3) Proposal plan of your research, art work and project theme where Hokkaido and Sapporo are the landing points/temporary destinations of your movement.
・Proposal outline and motivation to participate in the program
・Methods to record/share the activity
・Form, direction and image of the end result
Provided for the artists:
1) Letter of invitation from SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO
2) Coordination including interpretation and translation during the program period
3) 60 days studio & accommodations budget, up to 150,000 yen
4) 300,000 yen budget for 60 days living and activity expenses
5) 100,000 yen budget for a part of the production
6) Presentation at the end result budget, up to 100,000 yen
7) Interactive coaching from the selection committee
8) Technical assistant for realizing artworks/projects
9) Specialized advice to manage own physical and mental health and prevent the spread of novel coronavirus infection
Place of activity:
The base city of artist’s activities, the country of artist’s residence within the permitted range of movement. Some virtual places in Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio, and Hokkaido (art spaces, AIR and an artist’s studio ) at the remote online residency
Selected artists must:
1）Be able to cooperate for the program and public relation of AIR during the invited period.
2）Be able to cooperate for the research archive during the period.
3）Be able to participate in events in the local communities such as exchange programs and artist talks.
4）Present their result in some kind of format, for instance as an exhibition, by the end of the program.
5) Be aware of your health and mental condition under COVID-19 situation.
1) Any expenses exceeding the support must be covered by the artist.
2) Artists from countries which have not concluded a tax treaty or a country with which Japan has concluded the tax treaty but where income is taxable may be liable for income tax on the sum provided to support their activities and transportation.
3) It is possible to apply as a group, however the amount of support is only provided for a single artist.
SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO Open Call Selection Committee select the artists based on the application forms and the portfolios submitted. During the selection, interviews may be conducted online. All applicants will be notified of the decision by July 11 (Sun), 2021.
The selection committee consists of internationally recognized artists, some art space and AIR in Hokkaido and the director of SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO, will carefully evaluate applicants and select the artists.
Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio International Open Call AIR Program
TEL: 011-820-2140 (Thu~Sun)10:00-20:00 (Japan standard time)