St. Elmo Arts Residency and Fellowship
The St. Elmo Arts Residency and Fellowship is a joint project of the University of Texas at Austin’s Department of Art and Art History and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. It offers one fellowship each academic year to a newly minted MFA artist in painting, drawing, print, photo, sculpture, or multimedia. This is a nine and a half-month opportunity for concentrated studio work, the acquisition of teaching experience, and culminates in a solo exhibition at the Wildflower Center.
The residency is situated in a beautifully renovated house and studio compound in the St. Elmo district of South Austin, located midway between the university campus and the Wildflower Center.
Residency period: early-August 2023 through mid-May 2024
- 24-hour access to a private 1800-square-foot studio
- Private furnished house capable of accommodating the fellow and a partner
- 30,000 USD stipend
- Access to health insurance and benefits
- Part-time teaching experience at UT Austin
- Part-time teaching experience at the Wildflower Center
- Solo exhibition at the Wildflower Center
- 9 1/2-month commitment
- Teach one class per semester (two classes total) in Studio Art within the Department of Art and Art History
- Teach one workshop per semester (two workshops total) at the Wildflower Center
- Public lecture on your work
- Solo exhibition
- For the residency beginning early August 2023, only artists graduating from an MFA program in August 2022 through July 1, 2023 are invited to apply.
- If you graduated prior to August 2022, you are not eligible to apply.
- If you will graduate after July 1, 2023, please apply in the next application cycle. This is a hard deadline.
- Only artists graduating from US graduate MFA programs are eligible to apply.
- UT Austin MFA students and alumni are not eligible to apply.
Deadline: April 9, 2023. Fee (USD): $10.00