Open Call at AIR InSILo for the round 2022/2023
AIR InSILo is an artist-run independent initiative, located near the city of Vienna in the town of Hollabrunn (Lower Austria). It offers the hosted artists independent separate rooms for stay and work with media projects or conceptual art projects; it is equipped with wood and metal workshops; inside and outside spaces for an undisturbed creative process.
The AIR InSILo call for the round 2022/23 aims to meditate on the present state of technology. The task of the residence – which is a space, an entity, a future community that urges us to be aware of issues of consumption, energy, climate, and equality in a non-capitalist way – is to provide a proper environment that can maximally render the potential of the invited artists.
AIR InSILo is looking for artistic and curatorial contributions:
- Which work with, use, and critically discuss technology in an Anti-Promethean and anti-capitalist way, and in this sense, can bridge the gap between accelerationist and degrowth concepts;
- Have the idea of intensity at their core, in its meaning of work devoted to sustenance, reproduction, relations and the creation of a proper umwelt for playfulness;
- Which are based on or integrating awareness and care as a substantial part of artistic practice;
- Which intensify thinking and slow down the speed and purpose of labour, production and consumption;
- Which can disenchant economics and consider ecological, social, political, a.o. dimensions as a base of artistic practice;
- Which can contribute to the sustainability of the residency by involving different levels of socio-technical innovation.
AIR InSILo provides:
- Free stay in AIR InSILo;
- Travel costs from 100 Euros up to 600 Euros;
- Honorarium from 500 to 975 Euros;
- Production costs up to 525 Euros;
- Opportunity to come with partners or/and children;
- Per Diem 30 Euros/ day for the short-term residency;
- Transport costs from 75 to 150 Euros;
- Usage of the facilities provided by the AIR InSilo, an opportunity to make purchases up to 3000 Euros;
- Featuring in the InSilo Magazine;
- PR support by the digital means of AIR InSilo.
One can choose only a single time slot. The dates are fixed and cannot be discussed.
A submission proposal should be put in one PDF file (10 MB).
It should contain:
- A proposal letter with a conceptual direction and envision of a proposed open call topic. It should be submitted in two versions: short – up to 1000 characters and long – up to 4000 characters
- BIO – up to 1000 characters
- Portrait – b/w, vertical, 1500 px on a longer side
- CV – 2 pages maximum
- Portfolio of realised projects – up to 10 pages
- A presentation of the main proposal with illustrations, drafts, sketches, links, etc.
For images: artist name, artwork title, year, medium, dimensions, additional description. For video/audio: URL links for video and time-based work. Vimeo is better for video. Soundcloud is preferred for audio + password, artist name, artwork title, year, duration, and additional description.
The working language of the Residency is English. Additionally, it is possible to communicate in German and Russian. A solidarity fee should be paid before filling in the form.
Deadline is on Monday June 20, 16:00 (CEST). Visit their website for more information.