ISSP Riga Residency 2023
Photographers and diverse range of artists working with photography are invited to apply for the ISSP Riga Residency Programme in Riga, Latvia. The Residency offers a stay of 1–2 months during the time period between January 1 and December 31, 2023. Launched in 2018, the ISSP Riga Residency provides an opportunity for concentrated work on a personal project informed by interaction with the city and its residents. ISSP welcomes those interested in creating work referring to the social, cultural and historical context of Riga, as well as those who need to take their time to rethink and complete their ongoing work. The visiting artists will be offered an opportunity to interact with the local audience in a public artist talk and/or possibly other events or pop-up exhibitions.
Thanks to their cooperation partner kuš!, the residency also hosts illustrators and comics artists – if you are one or the other and want to come to Riga, get in touch with kuš! through their website.
There are no limitations regarding age, background or photographic style. The residents will be chosen based on their applications and fit into the residency calendar.
The residents are housed in a comfortable and spacious apartment in the center of Riga. 3 artists will be hosted at any given time. Each resident will have a private bedroom equipped with a working table and will share a living room and a fully equipped kitchen. The residency participation fee is 350 EUR per calendar month, which covers the basic costs of the flat; a partial advance is payable to confirm the participation. The participants will be responsible for their travel and production costs. The organisers can provide you with an official invitation letter to apply for funding in your country.
In 2023, three selected artists from a Baltic or Nordic country will receive a scholarship of 500 EUR, residency stay free of charge, and covered travel costs to Riga. Residents of following countries are eligible for the scholarship: Denmark, Finland, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Åland, Estonia, Lithuania.
The residency offers:
- a private room in a comfortable residency apartment in the center of Riga (the 3-bedroom apartment is shared with 2 other artists). The rooms are spacious and equipped with working tables; the artists share a common living room, fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, fireplace, wifi, scanner, printer.
- a possibility to use the library and extra equipment at the ISSP premises;
- a part-time staff member to provide local support and contacts and introduce the residents to the arts and culture scene;
- a possibility to meet with local community at an artist talk, and to organise extra events or pop-up exhibitions.
What they expect from the residents:
- to work on their artistic project in Riga / Latvia for the period of the residency;
- to be open to present their work to the local audience in the form of an artist talk or other public event;
- at the end of the residency, to send a selection to the organisers of the images produced for publicity purposes.
The deadline for applying is 16th October 2022, and the application is online.