Scottish Sculpture Workshop
Group residency at SSW offers artists dedicated time and support for the development of their practice. Coming together on the rural site in north-east Scotland, up to 6 artists live and work alongside each other for four weeks at a time.
Residency at SSW is experimental, collective and supported by SSW’s skilled team. The combination of access to facilities and workshops with peer exchange and learning is unique and offers lots of possibilities in the development of your practice. With this, the programme is particularly suited to artists who;
- want to test out new ideas or directions in their work
- are interested in connecting with materials and processes in our workshops
- are seeking connection with other artists
- value open-ended and experimental approaches to making
Throughout the residency, the organisers facilitate a loose structure of optional group activity, including studio sharings, meals, walks, saunas and workshops, to build connection and conversations between the group.
Bright and airy shared studio with access to wood and metal workshop, foundry, forge, ceramics workshop and fabrications room.
- SSW has simple shared accommodation on site as well as a house in the village. On site are four bedrooms, two single and two twin, with shared bathrooms. The main kitchen is housed in the Bothy, which also has laundry facilities.
- No. 17, the house in the village, also has four bedrooms, two double rooms, one twin and one family room with a shared bathroom. There is also a kitchen at the house, although residents may choose to use the kitchen at the main site.
- SSW is self-catering and they have well equipped kitchens with the usual appliances, including microwave, fridges, freezer, electric hobs and ovens. The bothy also has a dishwasher.
- They can host artists with their families. Please get in touch by emailing admin[at]ssw.org.uk, or phoning 01464 861372 if they can support you in this way.
- Unfortunately their accommodation is not currently wheelchair accessible. If you require accessible accommodation please get in touch and they will find you an alternative.
Metal workshop, wood workshop, ceramic facilities and foundry. Read more about SSW facilities here.
Rural environment of north-east Scotland.
Here you can read more about the project from Maarit Mustonen, developed in the residency and supported by i-Portunus, EU Mobility Scheme for artists and cultural professionals.