Parramatta Artists Studios
The Artist-in-Residence (AIR) program of Parramatta Artists’ Studios (PAS) offers a residential apartment and studio space to artists from outside of Sydney, Australia. The program supports artists from diverse practices and across career stages, and cultivates a supportive environment for artists to progress their careers by providing:
- a subsidised studio space in the Parramatta CBD
- up to AUD $500.00 materials budget
- professional development programs including curatorial visits
- a community and network of artists and arts workers
- opportunities to connect with artistic and local communities through public programs
Applications are open to artists from all disciplines, including but not limited to: painting, digital media, photography, performance, sculpture and writing.
The energetic home for creative production in the centre of Western Sydney, Parramatta Artists’ Studios (PAS) has supported hundreds of artists since opening in 2006. PAS provides a supportive studio environment for artists to develop their practices, whilst also connecting them with a community of peers and arts professionals. In 2019, PAS expanded to open an additional studio facility in Rydalmere containing six warehouse-style studios. This new space focuses on engaging artists beyond an emerging career stage and re-engages with former PAS studio artists to contribute to career sustainability.
Artists become an integral part of the growing Parramatta Artists Studios network. During their stay, the artists will also contribute to the PAS community/network by delivering artists talks, studio tours, workshops and/or a project relating to your practice.
There are fourteen studios in the studio complex. The resident artists utilise a studio that is approx 25sqm. It has wifi, tables and chairs.
- One residential apartment is available for international, interstate and regional artists throughout the year.
- The residential apartment is available for periods up to 3 months.
- Residential apartment fee is AUD $86.10 per week.
- There is no studio at the apartment. If a studio is also required, an additional weekly fee of AUD $26.90 is payable as per non-residential studio fees.
- Please note, fees are subject to change.
- The apartment is separate to the PAS building and is located within a 10 minute walk from PAS. It is located within the Parramatta CBD.
- Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, lounge/dining, internal laundry
- Wifi, kitchen utensils, bedroom and bathroom linen all provided.
- One car spot is located on-site.
- The apartment is accessible by lift and stairs
- Please note, details of available apartment are subject to change.
A range of equipment and resources are available for use by the artists including screens, projectors, DSLR camera, easels and Internet connection. Access to local facilities, including rehearsal studios, video production equipment, a ceramic studio and a darkroom can be arranged on a case-by-case basis for an additional fee.
Located in Parramatta, the Parramatta Artists Studios are at the centre of a quickly growing urban city. Known as the heart of Western Sydney, Parramatta is a diverse playground for dining, entertainment and culture; from the picturesque parks, river foreshore and heritage sites to award-winning dining, a passionate sports culture and cultural street festivals; PAS artists experience the vibrant culture of an urban city on the move. PAS has a strong network of peer cultural organisations in Parramatta – Riverside Theatres, Parramatta Heritage and Information Centre, Pop Up Parramatta, Information and Cultural Exchange, FORM Dance Projects, Parramatta Art Society and ParraClay – as well as across Western Sydney, with key arts centres in Blacktown, Campbelltown, Bankstown, Fairfield, Hawkesbury, Casula, Penrith and Auburn. Parramatta celebrates and platforms its cultural diversity through hosting major celebrations such as Parramasala, Burramatta Day, Parramatta Lanes, Loy Krathong and Australia Day.