The GuestRoomMaribor residency programme invites visual and interdisciplinary artists to apply for artist residencies that will take place in Maribor (Slovenia) in the period of 2022 and 2023. Several dates are available for one-month honorary residencies in spacious apartment studios of Vetrinjski mansion in the centre of Maribor. Successful applicants will also get an opportunity to present their newly created work in their gallery space.
GuestRoomMaribor is Maribor-based programme established by NGO Pekarna Magdalenske mreže that has been offering residencies for Slovenian and international artists in Maribor since 2011. They focus on contemporary visual art practices while their programe mainly supports socially engaged, hybrid and experimental projects, as well as projects that relate to the local social, cultural, historical or political context. The aim of the programe is to open up creative processes, foster dialogue and direct contact with local communities, question established presentations of artworks and encourage collaboration with local artists and producers.
In terms of content, priority will be given to projects that:
- (self) critically reflect the involvement of contemporary art in social, economic, technological, and environmental processes and power relations
- try to suggest non-normative ways of acting and thinking about the social and/or natural phenomena, including the artistic ones
- are research-oriented or understand the research process as an integral part of the artistic-creative process without reducing the latter to the research of the artistic medium or the visualization of data
- establish a reflective attitude towards the environment in which they are placed; in this case with the specific social, cultural, historical, or political context of the local community
- respond to the space in which they are placed in the process of creating or presenting the project.
- to deliver a public presentation of the artistic practice and their proposed project at the beginning of the residency
- to participate in the conception and realization of the public event Interest safari (i.e., a guided thematic walk linked to the theme of the proposed project)
- to deliver a final presentation/exhibition of their newly created production at the end of the residency
Free accommodation in central studio apartment (area 96 m2 and 76 m2, each of the studio apartments has a kitchenette and bathroom, floor heating, air conditioning, internet and a shared laundry room).
Maribor is the second biggest town in Slovenia, in last 5-6 decades known for its industry and industrial culture, renowned technical faculties, textile industry and wine. There is an active art scene in the city, multimedia, music, performing, visual, which can compare to the Europe finest and has also gained its international acknowledgment.