Enclave Land Art
Enclave Land Art OSAL, is a non profit association created in November 2016. Its aim is to build international projects linked to contemporary art and any other creative expressions. With an educational purpose, their philosophy is to spread contemporary culture. Enclave wants to encourage any kind of people to create sensitive synergies between contemporary art and the world that surrounds them.
Open call artistic residency 2021
Enclave Land Art and the Vall de Gallinera council (Alicante, Spain) with the support of Cultura Resident from Consorci de Museus de la Comunitat Valenciana and the Direcció General del Cultura i Patrimoni de la Generalitat Valenciana, are glad to announce the open call for the 3rd Edition of the Enclave Land Art Residency.
Submissions should focus on the dialogue between human beings and nature so as to create an artistic Land Art itinerary in the area. 7 projects from different artistic disciplines will be selected to be developed and produced in the natural environment during the two weeks of the Art Residency, sharing experiences, ideas and a common goal. All projects must take into consideration people's interest in contemporary arts, aiming to give greater value to the area of Vall de Gallinera, promoting a deep and permanent conscience about the historical, cultural and traditional aspects of the territory through a dialogue between art and nature.
"Truly memory does not consist at all of a regression from the present to the past, but rather in a progress from the past to the present." Bergson H., Matter and Memory, 2006.
The power of intangibleness in art could be considered to be the core of creation and transformation: perception, habits, culture, language, time or memory can be channels used to define artistic research.
This symbiosis between tangible and immaterial is what, along with history, builds the identity of a territory. There are many important elements in Vall de Gallinera apart from its geologic structure and its natural heritage, like for example the vestiges from prehistory up to the civil war, passing through Iberian villages, funerary steles and medieval castles. This historical legacy, traces of human beings along the millennia, has been preserved in this enclave thanks to its natural idiosyncrasy. They are the physical result of a non-linear time that presents a dialogue of human beings with nature through its layers. These layers could be metaphorically a book (nature itself) where the territory's inhabitants have written their story and defined their identity.
Nature has since forever been a spiritual source of research and inspiration for human beings. It is not a coincidence that one can see trees in the forms of the columns in the churches, or caves in the arches, and many other examples. This union appears represented in different styles and functions, and in what remains when time and various factors alter them.
Due to this connection between absence/presence that is preserved nowadays, the inner identity has been reinforced with nature as witness. These are the elements that the selected artists will be invited to reinterpret through their projects. Enclave Land Art aims to start a new chapter, leaving a contemporary trace to continue this dialogue with the environment through contemporary art. The relationship with what remains, together with what is not visible but nonetheless is present and forms part of Vall de Gallinera's people, represents who the locals are nowadays as a result of the path trodden.
Installation, land art, photography, anthropology, research, sculpture, performance and any other artistic manifestation or line of work in which the artist-territory-nature dialogue can be found within the specific nature of the environment in which the work will be developed and of the proposed idea.
Open to artists of any age and nationality.
For further information Enclave Land Art’s team suggest to upload the extended version of the open call.
Duration of the open call:
- From the 15th of August until the 10th of October 2021.
Preselected Artists interviews:
- From the 15th until the 19th of October 2021.
Announcement of the Selected Artists:
- 20th of October 2021.
- From the 22nd of November until the 5th of December included.
- Projects will be presented to the public on the 4th and the 5th of December 2021.
- Collateral events: During the Residency there will be meetings with the artists and a final presentation of the projects; workshops linked with the projects; the artists will be encouraged to be part of the promotion and communication strategy. Enclave will be a space for dialogue, connection between artists and encounter with cultural projects on the territory. Some complementary actions will be programmed, such as visits to cultural spaces of the area or encounters with local artists or other initiatives.
- Audiovisual coverage: Enclave Land Art Residency will have an audiovisual coverage supported by interns from Audiovisual Máster of UPV. Videos and interviews will be produced daily which will be published in different channels of promotion. The audiovisual department will create a final documentary of the residency which will be promoted in talks and presentations internationally. In addition, one of the artists will be selected for an auteur documentary, with its own thematic linked to his/her work and a special research and structure defined previously by the director and Enclave's organisation.
Shared studios and a natural park to work.
Shared rooms (2 beds) in a full board basis.
Location of the itinerary: The route of Corrals de La Carrotja (between Benisivà and La Carrotja), Vall de Gallinera (Alicante). Maps, images and more information on the website.