Buinho was established in 2015 in the town of Messejana, with the status of a non-profit cultural association. It distinguishes itself by being the second MIT accredited fablab for the Alentejo region, and the only space with these characteristics in a rural area. The fablab provides access to a vast variety of digital manufacturing equipment as 3D printers, laser cutter, or CNC Mill, and the specialized support provided by our staff which enables visiting artists to further expand the boundaris of their artistic research.
Buinho is more than just a fablab where private accommodation, working studios, Precious Plastic workspace and machine shop, and daily production support, all within a creative residency program are offered for artists and writers from different disciplines. The proximity of the residency program to the local community and local heritage is another of its distinguishing factors. Among other initiatives, Buinho offers a weekly cultural program promoted together with members of the local community.
Opportunities for artists to engage with the organization's educational programs are also offered. All AIR residents have the possibility to organize an open studio event open to the general public. Buinho is the ideal place for those who want to adopt a more experimental attitude in their creative practice. The AIR program is designed and implemented by professionals with years of experience in cultural institutions and similar programs. Buinho AIR is a space of experimentation but also of social transformation, contributing to the increase of the attractiveness of rural territories.
A final presentation is displayed during an open studio, where the local community has an opportunity to meet with the artists and provide feedback on their work.
Buinho mediates the possibility to exhibit in alternative spaces of Messejana as the ethnographic Museum or local chapels. Participants are also invited to partake in artist talks, workshops and open studio events with local partners.
- Private accommodation with kitchen facilities (including fast speed internet connection, TV, kitchen utensils, washing machine, bed linen and towels, art and design library, drawing/design studio, wood, and metals workshop).
- Shared and private studios suitable for visual artists, designers, writers, etc.
- Working space (including internet connection, 3D Printers, Lasercutter, CNC, vinyl cutter plotters, woodworking power-tools, computer stations, projectors, easels, working tables, soldering iron for electronics, electric sewing machine).
- Precious Plastic workshop
- Support services for the development of the artist project involve free consultancy on production planning, and art & design resources, as well as dissemination of the project in Buinho’s website and organization of a public opening.
The creative residency program of Buinho provides private accommodation and shared work-spaces in two different locations:
- Sao Joao house is an XIX century shepherd’s house, remodelled in 2019 to offer a unique charm. It is located in the street of the museum, on top of a hill, offering from its garden a unique view over Messejana. It’s studios with high white walls and quiet environment offer the perfect setting for visual artists and writers.
- The second space, Buinho main studio, and fablab is also a traditional house, but was entirely renovated to provide a modern studio style residence. Here technologies give you a hand to experiment, learn and make. The fablab is equipped with all the necessary tools and machines (workstations, 3D printers, laser cutter, CNC, vinyl cutters, etc.) to enhance the possibilities of experimentation of our residents.
Each house is fully-equipped and provide accommodation in individual rooms. They also provide some technical courses related to 3D Printing and laser cutting to the residents that may desire.
Groups can be hosted. Partners and children are welcome.
Messejana is a small village of 800 inhabitants located in the southern Alentejo region.