Binaural is a Portuguese non-profit Cultural Organization founded in 2004 with the aim of promoting the exploration and research in sound / visual and new media arts, focusing on the crossing of media and languages and on the articulation between the artistic production and the surrounding context, particularly through its activities in the rural space of Nodar.
Binaural holds creation, production, promotion, research and teaching activities with the objective of establishing itself as a platform for experimentation and sharing of theoretical thought in the fields of technology, media and artistic praxis.
Nodar Rural Art Lab is program of in-situ creative labs in sound art developed in connection with landscapes and communities of the Gralheira Mountain Range, namely the rural community of Nodar, a small village in the center of Portugal, located aproximately 150 km from Oporto and 350 km from Lisbon.
The organization strongly encourage the artists-in-residency to present projects that can establish interaction with the place, its inhabitants, geographic space and memory.
Disciplines and media supported at Nodar: Sound art, improvised music, electroacoustic composition, sound sculptures, intermedia installation, etc.
All artists are encouraged to share the result of their residency / international collaboration through an open rehearsal, studio performance, talk or exhibition at the Center for local audiences. Additional performances / exhibitions can be arranged in the neighbour cities of Viseu and S. Pedro do Sul and also Lisbon and Oporto. The artists should inform the organization in advance in order to prepare these events.
- Main Studio (Living Room): 5m x 7m equipped with sound and video devices. A dial up Internet connection is provided to be shared by the artists. A TV with the major international channels is available.
- Basement: 4m x 4m for work with installations, sculptures, painting, etc.
- Little Studio: 3m x 2m (Upstairs next to the bedrooms). In this space, earphones are mandatory when working with sound.
- 3 guest rooms in the Main House with 1 double bed each.
- 2 guest rooms in a 19th century rural house with 1 double bed and 2 individual beds respectively.
Nodar Artist Residency Center is situated in the rural community of Nodar, a small village in the center of Portugal, located aproximately 150 km from Oporto and 350 km from Lisbon.