For more then 25 years Azart * The Ship of Fools is an independent, sailing comic theatre in the tradition of the itinerant theatre companies. She owns her existence to the dedication of hundreds of artists who have been implicated over the years.
For the period 2014-2016 the ship is moored in Pasaia (4 km. east of Donostia) in collaboration with Donostia/San Sebastian Cultural Capital of Europe 2016. Now she prepares her 'Magnum Opus', a multi-annual comic theatre in the aesthetics of XVI-century artist Hieronymus Bosch, that sees in 2015 a preparatory tour in the Basque Country before setting sail to Holland and Australia.
The residence is open for propositions regarding other disciplines. This concerns basically:
- The design of the aesthetics of the ship, show, stage, costumes, festival ground, public presentation, web site
- The participation in a continuous Festival of Fools (preparatory tour 2015)
- A contribution to a continuous, contemporary seaman's story using cross media and internet (preparatory tour 2015)
Residency conditions are:
- A communal “artist’ saloon” with kitchen, that serves as a theatre/meeting-/workplace.
- Communal life (shopping, cooking) shared by the crew and residents.
- Eight private cabins with blankets/linen and (mostly) a small table.
- Two toilets, one shower.
- Wifi (in process).
- Housing and food paid by the residency.
- Travel costs paid by the artist.
Till spring 2016 in Basque country Spain.