Open Call KAMEN Artist Residency 2021
Open Call KAMEN Artist Residency 2021
KAMEN (Bosnia and Herzegovina) is a residency program for artistic research and art production, located in a rural area, next to lake Bileća. They are open to emerging and established artists, curators, and researchers across a wide range of artistic practices and disciplines. They host a small number of professionals in a supportive and sustainable working environment, for an average of 8 weeks. KAMEN is interested in the exchange between people, ideas, methodologies and disciplines - bridging diverse practices and interconnecting in a variety of ways. As well, KAMEN is suitable as a place for retreat, experimentation and practice, to work on the production of artworks, perform research or write, and spend a time of specific focus. KAMEN welcomes artists, curators, and academics across a wide range of specializations; for example, artists working with performative practices, filmmaking and writing, historical and sociopolitical research, work that activates studies of mythology, anthropology, religion studies, environmental issues, ecology and so on. Artists and researchers of all ages, ethnic backgrounds and genders are welcome, at different stages in their artistic career, and across all disciplines.
Partners: KAMEN assists resident-fellows in making meaningful connections and engaging in intercultural collaborations with a diversity of local constituencies, as appropriate to each artist’s discipline and particular interests. KAMEN has been forming collaborations with different local groups, cultural institutions, art associations and projects. At this point they have several art institutional partners in Trebinje, the closest city, just 15 km from Orah: Gallery KC, which houses multiple floors of gallery spaces, theatre stages and a cinema; the Academy of Fine Arts, and the Museum of Herzegovina, with its team of anthropologists, ethnologists and archeologists.
The KAMEN building consists of two floors: four private living areas, four studios and communal spaces. As well, around the residency building, they have created a number of half-open working spaces that can be used for outdoor working.
The residency fee is € 1.000 per month. Beside the residency fee, the visiting professional must cover their travel expenses, local transport, additional food (the produce from the garden, which is shared for common use) and additional (specific) working materials. Local transport is cheap but not frequent. They advise residents to rent a car during their stay at the residency, which averages at a cost of €300 per month.
The deadline for applying is 1 February 2021. A complete application should contain the following:
- Personal information: Name, age, gender, nationality, living address, phone number, e-mail, Skype username, picture.
- Preferred time of residency: They advise a minimum stay of 8 weeks. Please specify which of the following time blocks is of your choice: May-June, July-August or September-October. If multiple options are possible or dates are flexible, please specify this. If none of the mentioned time blocks suits you, please specify the desired period of your stay. They are willing to accommodate to different time schedules, if possible.
- Driver’s license? Y/N
- A project proposal and description of a presumed outcome. If applicable, includes also a preliminary idea for a public presentation (max. two A4)
- Artist statement, short biography and CV (max. two A4)
- PDF portfolio that gives an overview of the development of work over the last 5 years
- A brief letter of motivation considering the location of Bosnia-Herzegovina and/or modus operandi of KAMEN (max. one A4)
- If applicable: brief description of collaborators/partner institutions of interest, and/or envisioned collaborative or community art project (max one A4)
- Link to portfolio / website / film
- Two reference letters (optional)
In 2021 they are encouraging projects that loosely deal with art & food or environmental/ecological issues. (optional)