Cité internationale des arts' residencies

Cité internationale des arts' residencies

The Cité internationale des arts, which was founded in 1965, is a residence center that has welcomed more than 25,000 artists since its creation. Its ideal location in the heart of Paris and its commitment to place the artist at the heart of the project mean that the Cité internationale des arts is a key player on the Parisian and international art scene. 

Every year, the Cité internationale des arts welcomes over 1,000 artists from 90 different countries in more than 300 studios in the Marais and Montmartre districts of central Paris. Based on the artistic projects of residents, artists and/or exhibition curators, the Cité internationale des arts implements a multidisciplinary cultural program in its various spaces: the Galerie (a 525 m2 exhibition space), the Corridor, the Auditorium (128 seats), the Petite Galerie as well as through ‘‘open-studio days’’. The Cité internationale des arts also supports residents’ ‘‘fringe events and projects’’ and helps bring them into contact with professionals. Residents can also take French lessons, work in shared studios (engraving or silkscreen printing workshops) and use the pottery kiln. Partnerships with other institutions in Paris and Ile-de-France also enable residents to develop their practices outside the walls of the Cité internationale des arts.

Twice a year (in spring and fall), the Cité internationale des arts organizes specific committees by discipline: the visual arts, music, writing and the performing arts. About sixty studios are allocated at each committee session. The committees’ thematic juries allocate 30% of residential studios at the Cité internationale des arts, with the remaining 70% allocated by its partners. These residencies are open to French and foreign artists and curators, in the field of Visual Arts, Music, Writings and Performing Arts, aged over 18, for a residence period of 2 to 12 months.

The studios include a furnished work and living space (living room/workspace, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen). It is not possible to bring additional furniture. Wifi is only available in studios located on the Marais site (the fee is included in the monthly charges). Residents selected by the Cité internationale des arts committees are responsible for paying their living expenses. In 2020, the monthly charges range from € 581 to € 886 depending on the size of the studio (between 25 m2 and 60 m2). A deposit corresponding to the amount of the monthly charge is payable two month before arrival. It is returned at the end of the residence, after inventory. Any cancellation less than one month before the planned date of the residency will give rise to the invoicing of one month’s charges. Residents may have visitors to stay, either one adult (+ € 162 per month) and/or a child under 7 (+ € 119 per month). Pets are not allowed. Artists in residence agree to abide by the internal rules and regulations and respect the dates of residency decided by the committees. The allocation of a studio at the Cité internationale des arts does not entitle residents to claim state housing benefit from the Caisse d’Allocations Familiale.

Applications for Cité internationale des arts committees are made via the dedicated online form, with deadline March 1st, 2020. If you cannot access online registration, please contact the Cité internationale des arts committees office: [email protected]. The application fee is 32 € including VAT. Before completing the online form, please make sure you have the following documents in your possession (in pdf format):

  • 1 curriculum vitae (4 pages maximum)
  • 1 presentation of your residency project (2 pages maximum)
  • 1 portfolio (between 5 and 20 pages maximum) 
  • Video links and/or audio files representative of your work (mp3, avi)
  • Letters of recommendation in pdf format (5 maximum, in French and/or English)

Applying as a couple / as a collective: The studios, with sizes from 20 m2 to 60 m2 , have been designed to meet the needs of both work and everyday life. Each one has a workspace, a kitchen, a bathroom and a sleeping area. A studio can accommodate up to two adults and a child up to 7 years old. Couple applications must be made in the following way, as the case may be:

  • the project is common: only one application must be submitted on behalf of the two artists
  • the projects are different: two separate applications must be submitted (please complete in the ‘‘other remarks’’ at the end of the form that you wish to share a studio - specify the name of the second applicant).

Due to the size of the studio and their limited number, selected applications for collective projects involving more than two artists are very exceptional.