ROOSTERGNN Artist Residency
Every resident works on a self-directed creative project throughout his or hers residency. Candidates should detail their project proposal in the application form. It is not required that residents finish an entire project during their stay at the Madrid residency; you can work on a project you have started elsewhere, or work on a project in a brainstorming format and continue to work on it after the program. The residence is limited to ten artists. Different disciplines can apply:
- Writers: applications are open to writers of all literary disciplines: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short stories, etc. The proposal can be to work on an existing project (e.g. if you are already working on a book) or to complete an entire project during your residency in Madrid (e.g. a collection of poems about Spain). Texts can be written in English or Spanish.
- Journalists and bloggers: as a news agency, RGNN.org especially welcomes journalists and bloggers-in-residence. Proposals can be based around a specific theme, e.g. reporting on current events or around a theme, e.g. art, culture, sports, travel, fashion, style, food, etc. The works will be published on RGNN.org. Texts can be written in English or Spanish.
- Photographers: photographers can be of all different disciplines, from artistic photography to street photography to photojournalism. Proposals can be based around a specific theme, e.g. a series photographing street art in Madrid. Selected works may be published on RGNN.org. Photographers can take advantage of the RGNN photo and video studio to shoot work as well. Please note that photographers should provide their own photography (camera, tripod, etc.) and editing equipment.
- Filmmakers and videographers: filmmakers of all disciplines are welcome: film, short film, documentary, video, etc. Selected works may be published on RGNN.org. Filmmakers can take advantage of the RGNN photo and video studio to shoot work as well. Please note that filmmakers should provide their own film (camera, tripod, etc.) and editing equipment (e.g. Final Cut Pro or your editing program of choice).
- Digital artists and graphic designers: applications are open all artists who use digital media to create art and design, from Photoshop to Illustrator to online image and video creation tools. Please note that you should provide your own editing equipment (e.g. Adobe Suite).
- Social Media Artists: applications are open to artists who use social media in their art form. Content should be specifically created for social media (e.g. gifs, videos, images, photos, etc.). Social media artists can take advantage of the RGNN photo and video studio to shoot flat lays and other installations, for example. The “virtual studio” created by the artist may be shared on RGNN social media profiles using the hashtag #RGNNresidency.
- Creative Coders: applications are open to creative coders and programmers, who use coding languages to create tools, apps or art. From HTML to CSS to Ruby on Rails, projects can be as creative as the candidate desires. It is not necessary to finish an entire coding project during the residency, but the proposal should detail what the candidate proposes to work on.
- Entrepreneurs and innovators: the ROOSTERGNN Residency welcomes entrepreneurs looking to create and launch an innovative business idea. It is recommended that entrepreneurs take advantage of Madrid to conduct market research and business meetings, for which the conference room facility is at their disposal. It is not necessary to launch an entire business during the residency, but the proposal should detail what the candidate proposes to work on.
The accommodation can be in shared (double, 2 separate beds) apartments or single (1 individual bed) apartments. Please indicate your choice in the application form. RGNN will assign housing. If you are interested in bringing a companion (spouse, partner, friend, family member or children), please contact [email protected] for availability. Each apartment is furnished with the following facilities:
- Furnished apartment
- Own bathroom and kitchen, complete with fridge, stove, microwave and cooking utensils
- Air-conditioning / heating, depending on season
- Cleaning and changing of sheets and towels
The Residency building moreover includes the following facilities: 24 hour concierge; laundry, dryer and ironing facilities and swimming pool and sundeck, depending on season (usually open during high season months of June, July, August).
- Brainstorming room: residents will have access to a shared “Brainstorming Room” with work tables and wifi internet connection to work on their creative projects. The brainstorming room will be open from Monday through Friday, from 9.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Note. All Residents should bring their own laptops to work on their projects.
- Conference room: residents will have access to a conference room to conduct meetings and conferences. Access to the conference room will be based on availability (there will be a sign-up sheet to fill out).
- RGNN photo & video studio: residents will have access to the RGNN Photo and Video Studio, a professional photo and video studio complete with white infinity backgrounds, green backgrounds and black backgrounds as well as professional lighting and a clothing rack. Residents can use the studio to shoot and photograph for their creative projects. Access to the studio will be based on availability (there will be a sign-up sheet to fill out).
Residents can opt to receive a router with portable wifi high-speed 4G internet connection. To access the router, the resident will have to make a router deposit of fifty (50) Euros, which will be returned to the resident when she or she returns the router.