Easttopics calls curators for an online residency
With the East Call Curatorial Residency, Easttopics in Budapest, Hungary, offers a unique opportunity for emerging curators to gain a comprehensive insight in the Hungarian and Slovakian contemporary art scene by examining its characteristics and understanding them in a broader, regional context.
The program is designed for emerging curators and curators-to-be still involved in their studies who expect to work in the field of contemporary art. It intends to introduce participants to current and relevant practices as well as to the mechanisms of curating in relation to exhibitions, institutions, audiences, aesthetics and cultural political discourse.
The course will include virtual gallery and museum visits, covering a range of curatorial models, where you will meet and have the opportunity to speak with professionals in the field. It also includes an online guest lectures from established curators and artists.
Online Residency program: Curatorial Residency
Period: 2 Nov - 16 Nov 2021
Length: 2 weeks
Application deadline: 4 October 2021
Selection process: 6 October 2021
Program structure and values of the 2 week intensive program
- providing access to a strong network of diverse, visionary and agile practitioners in the field of exhibition making and institution building, shaped by our alumni and advisors
- offering the opportunity for highly-motivated individuals from distinct social and cultural contexts to come together, collaborate and find ways to learn from each other and from leaders in their chosen field
- allowing participants to intensively expand their professional knowledge and practice by conducting in-depth investigations of contemporary exhibitions
- comprising self-reflexive discussions and debates examining how the residencies can help young curators to develop in a professional way
- getting introduced to case studies of leading curators and their engagements
- taking part in curatorial workshops
- visiting artist’s studio, and exchanging, discussing with each other during their stay
- sharing the experimental and theoretical best practices of leading contemporary art museums, galleries and research centres
- offering to the participants a unique chance to develop project ideas, conduct research of their particular interests, enrich connections and networks internationally as well as elaborate discussions with contemporary art professionals active in CEE
- Contemporary art scene and its player in Budapest and other CEE countries (2021: focus on Slovakia)
- Emerging and established contemporary curatorial practices and the issues, topics they address
- Cultural, historical and political background allowing a better understanding of contemporary issues addressed by art
- The region’s art market and collecting practices
- Networking with artists, curators, art critics and directors
Curatorial residence participation fee: 800 EUR. Easttopics provides a budget for a project developed in the frame of and as a result of the residency program.
Applicants should send a letter of intent and CV to [email protected]