Residency by CreArt for a Visual Artist at La Maison Pressée in Rouen, France
La Maison Pressée is the new spot managed by the Polymorphe artist collective. This association aims implementing artistic, cultural and citizen projects with and for the inhabitants, in public places, and more particularly in abandoned or unoccupied locations. Since 2015, the collective transforms unused places into spaces for meeting, reflexion and collaborative creation.
Since May 2021, Polymorphe is working on its fourth project: a four-floor-building of 170m² located in the heart of Rouen at 9 rue des deux anges, called 'La Maison Pressée.' This place, about to open in October 2021, will include 4 artist studios, an exhibition room, 4, 2 apartment-studio, a shared kitchen, a meeting room, a recycled material center and a 200m² garden.
For this residency, the CreArt artist will be settled in a combined work-studio and apartment-studio (24m²) located at the 4th floor of the Maison Pressée. He/she will also have access to the every collective spaces and the shared kitchen.
Who Can Apply?
This call is intended to visual artists with a wild range of medium, such as drawing, engraving, illustration, video, installation, collage, new media, painting, performance, photography, sculpture, design, textile, graphics, micro-editing. For logistical reasons, monumental creation cannot be offered. A particular attention will be paid to artists who interrogate the environmental impact of artistic production in their work. Finally, the place does not have access for people with reduced mobility.
Rouen AiR / CreArt Programme
- the artist will be guided and shown around by the members of La Maison pressée . They will advise the artist in their work, make him/her discover cultural places and organize events to introduce him/her in the local artist’s community and the neighbourhood (brunch, workshops, openings).
- During the AiR will be defined one open day for visitors and one workshop for visitors (children or adults).
- A final public presentation of the works created during the residency will take place from 8 to 12 December. The exhibition, its opening ceremony and dissemination will be assumed by the associaton, in collaboration with the City of Rouen.
- The artists are committed to attend daily and work in the residence. A final report must be produced at the end.
- One of the works produced must remain at La Maison Pressée as collection.
Conditions and Stipend
The organization will cover travel expenses (up to 600€) to Rouen. The city of Rouen also covers the material costs (up to 800€), accommodation (at la Maison Pressée), subsistence costs (700€) and will provide 1000€ as artist’s fee.
The AiR is open to local artists –resident in any of the cities taking part in the CreArt | Network of Cities for Artistic Creation: Aveiro [PT]; Valladolid [ES]; Clermont-Ferrand [FR]; Genoa (artists should be under 35) and Lecce [IT]; Liverpool [UK]; Lublin and Katowice [PL]; Kaunas [LT]; Skopje [MK] and Zagreb [HR].
- ID or passport (scanned copy);
- A short version of your resume/CV (one A4)
- A portfolio (with technical specifications, representative artworks and pictures. Links can be included);
- The artists must have an European Health Card or equivalent, as well as an EU Covid-19 Vacination Certificate.
The applications must be submitted before 10 October 2021. Only applications with complete information will be accepted. The city of Rouen will inform of the results until 15 October. The selected projet will be published on the CreArt website.