Open Call: Transforming Bricks and Mortar
Konsthall C is a public work of art, an urban renewal project and an art institution located in a former communal laundry in Hökarängen, Stockholm since 2004. Konsthall C is a a nonprofit organisation whose main objective is to be a leading actor in socially engaged practices, supporting new curatorial and artistic experiments and thinking. The organization aims to be a strong and visible actor in Hökarängen, by connecting its activities to Hökarängen’s history, local associations and development. It is committed to delivering a cultural program linked to questions concerning social justice, democracy and urban development.
Konsthall C’s AiR-platform The Research Station welcomes artists, researchers, writers and activists to apply for Transforming Bricks and Mortar, focusing on the transformative potential in building a decolonial art institution from inside and out.
The objective of the residency is to address Konsthall C as an infrastructure and explore possible futures for an organization that wants to work not only with decolonization but in a decolonial way. Applicants should demonstrate innovative methods based on mutual learning and joint exploration of new ideas and approaches.
The resident will work in close proximity to the staff and our program through engagement with Konsthall C’s history, its future ambitions, relevance in the community and its approach to (re)presenting art.
Selected applicants are invited to work with any aspect of Konsthall C’s organisational structure and program to help uncover new ways of building an accountable and open institutional structure. The focus is on finding ways of how to explore the relationship between decoloniality and contemporary art. The organization particularly focuses on the injustice and structural issues within, ways of how to unlearn the practices and behaviors that have emerged from these conditions, and seeks to build anew along antiracist and decolonized lines.
Two residents will be selected for a residency of eight weeks during the winter and spring of 2022. The applicants' background should display hybrid modes of thought, research, and practice within a decolonial framework. It is open to all nationalities.
Residency periods are designed as between 1 February – 13 March and 11 May – 26 June. Applications to be made via their online form. Deadline for application is on 12 December 2021 at 11 PM.
- Collabortions are made in Swedish or English.
- The stay is six weeks with two weeks at home for writing and reflection on the process and residency.
- Residents will receive a monthly salary of 29 580 SEK / month before tax. The same as everyone else at Konsthall C.
- Accommodation, travel and covid-tests are paid for by Konsthall C.
- Residents will stay in the Research Station around the corner from Konsthall C. It's a compact “tiny-house” suitable for one person.
- There will be a production budget for the implementation of talks, smaller projects initiated by the resident.
- Each resident is asked to submit a written text summarizing their residency period at the latest one month after the end of their residency period.
- Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria: relevance to the decolonial structural process at Konsthall C and relevance for the community of Hökarängen.
Find more information on Konsthall C's website.