Open Call for Artists/Designer at Gastatelier Gleis70
The cooperative Gleis 70 in collaboration with the Cultural Department of the Canton of Zurich offers a three-month guest residency in Zurich that includes the use of a living/working space and a stipend. This residency is intended for visual artists and designers living in Europe (with a valid Schengen visa) or for Swiss visual artists and designers from French, Italian or Rhaeto-Romanic Switzerland.
Period of Residence: January to March 2023
Application deadline: August 31, 2022
Gastatelier Gleis 70
The Gleis 70 guest studio is located in Zurich Altstetten in a former factory building in an industrial area. Artists, musicians, designers, inventors, composers, writers, graphic artists, craftsmen, filmmakers and many more work in the building of the Gleis 70 cooperative. It is located directly on the tracks of the Zurich-Bern/Basel railroad line and is easily accessible by public transport.
The guest studio includes a living room with sleeping and kitchen area, bath and a working space (50m2 all together). The studio is furnished: Shelves/desks/chairs/bed/sofa. A separate washing machine can be used. Free wifi. A bicycle is available. The cafeteria on the 6th floor is open during the day from 9am to 4pm. Various shopping facilities can be reached in a few minutes. The building and studio are wheelchair accessible.
The residence is NOT suitable for large projects or groups.
The cooperative Gleis 70 and the Cultural Department of the Canton of Zurich provide the guest studio to the artists/designers free of charge. In addition, the artists/designers receive a monthly allowance of CHF 1’500 as well as travel expenses from their home to Zurich and back (one-time). The artists/designers will also receive a contribution of CHF 1’000 towards the project costs. The artists/designers are covered by health insurance during their stay, unless they already have valid insurance. The artists/designers are responsible for all other expenses.
- The call is designated only for the visual arts and design disciplines.
- Artists/designers must have graduated at least 3 years ago and have been working in the artistic field since then.
- Artists/designers have to travel to Zurich by train.
- The artist/designer is expected to be present for most of the time (at least 75%).
- The artist/designer will be responsible for organizing two open studios.
- For the internal collection and documentation, the organization is interested in e.g. a small work or a short photographic documentation of the resident's project.
- At the end of the residency a short report about the resident's artistic process at Gleis 70 is asked.
Send the following as one PDF (no exceeding 10MB) by email only to [email protected] before the deadline on August 31th, 2022.
- Application form
- Personal statement and letter of motivation or description of a project in Zurich,
- Documentation of recent artistic works (last 6 years)
If an application doesn’t meet the deadline, exceeds the 10MB or is incomplete or not readable, it will not be considered. Applications by postal-services will not be considered. Application by wetransfer or dropbox will not be considered.
International artists have as well the possibility to apply for a residency at Gastatelier Gleis 70 through the liaison offices of Pro Helvetia.
Period 1: April until June 2023
Period 2: October until December 2023
Visit Gleis70's website for more information.