GuestRoomMaribor Open Call 2022 / 2023
The GuestRoomMaribor residency programme invites visual and interdisciplinary artists to apply for artist residencies that will take place in Maribor (Slovenia) in the period of 2022 and 2023. Several dates are available for one-month honorary residencies in spacious apartment studios of Vetrinjski mansion in the centre of Maribor. Succesfull applicant will also get an opportunity to present their newly created work in our gallery space.
GuestRoomMaribor is Maribor based programme established by NGO Pekarna Magdalenske mreže that has been offering residencies for Slovenian and international artists in Maribor since 2011. They focus on contemporary visual art practices while their programe mainly supports socially engaged, hybrid and experimental projects, as well as projects that relate to the local social, cultural, historical or political context. Aim of the programe is to open up creative processes, foster dialogue and direct contact with local communities, question established presentations of artworks and encourage collaboration with local artists and producers.
The residency covers:
- free accommodation in central studio apartment (area 96 m2 and 76 m2, each of the studio apartments has a kitchenette and bathroom, floor heating, air conditioning, internet and a shared laundry room)
- fee 700 EUR gross 2
- coverage of production costs up to EUR 400
- production and professional assistance of curators
- organizational assistance
- implementation of a presentation event
- possibility to have a one month gallery presentation of the production
In terms of content, priority will be given to projects that:
- (self) critically reflect the involvement of contemporary art in social, economic, technological, and environmental processes and power relations
- try to suggest non-normative ways of acting and thinking about the social and/or natural phenomena, including the artistic ones
- are research-oriented or understand the research process as an integral part of the artistic-creative process without reducing the latter to the research of the artistic medium or the visualization of data
- establish a reflective attitude towards the environment in which they are placed; in this case with the specific social, cultural, historical, or political context of the local community
- respond to the space in which they are placed in the process of creating or presenting the project
The application has to be submitted online in English or Slovene language by the 10th of October 2022.