Greylight Projects, Autumn Residency
In collaboration with Borderland Residencies, Greylight Projects launches an open call for a three-month residency in Heerlen, the Netherlands (from September 1 to November 30, 2022). Artists based in the Netherlands and Germany are invited to apply.
Borderland Residencies is an Euregional network of art institutions and through residencies, co-productions and field trips the network aims to reposition the region within Europe.
Guided by the open-ended question “Where are we now?” Greylight Projects invites artists to reflect on the relationships between art, space, time and the public. How do we experience the changing (mental) architecture we inhabit? How does the fluid self engage with spaces of everyday life? How can art reflect on spatial and temporal relations?
Greylight Projects is an artist-run organization founded in 2009. It focuses on supporting artists´ research and practices by facilitating, (co-)producing and/or organizing events. Greylight Projects has no restriction in terms of media or origins of artistic practices. The residency program has been an organic and intuitive development since the beginning. The program focuses on the work of the artist and how this could be elevated through dialogue and shared with the public. Greylight Projects created a space for contemporary art practices in a former school building in the city of Heerlen (Limburg, the Netherlands). The location is composed of 7 studios for visual artists, a residency place, a workshop, a garden and a multi-purpose space called “the Salon’.
The residency takes place at Greylight Projects in Heerlen, the Netherlands. The artist is invited to give a presentation of the artist’s practice at the start of the residency as an introduction to the public and interested members of the cultural field. The form of a final public presentation will be determined during the residency. The artist will be guided by the team of Greylight Projects throughout the residency.
The artist needs to be sincerely and actively engaged in her, his or their practice. The selected artist is requested to be present on-site during the residency and take part in field trips within the Borderland Residencies network. Greylight Projects offers artists time to reflect on their practice. Greylight Projects has always been interested in art in public space and wishes to continue to do so, the guest artist is welcome to explore forms or actions that can be placed or happen in the public domain.
- Accommodation information: the accommodation is combined within the studio space, with shower on the corridor and a shared kitchen).
- Studio information: an open studio space of approximately 49m2. Access to a common working space and access to a garden. The artist can use some tools, such as sewing equipment (sewing machine, overlock), basic sound & video equipment, woodworking tools (circular saw, miter saw, table saw), electronic cutting machine (Cameo) + internet connection + a bicycle.
- Covered by the host: Greylight Projects assigns a budget of € 3000,- for the whole residency, and provides a private room, a workspace as well as artistic and social support to the guest artist.
- Material budget: € 1000,-
- Covered by the artist: insurances, travel expenses and food.
To apply, send the following documents (in English) by 18 July 2022 in ONE SINGLE PDF FILE (10 MB max.) by email to: [email protected]:
- A short text about your motivations for the residency (500 words max);
- A curriculum vitae with your contact details (email, telephone, address, website, social media if relevant);
- Images of recent works (with captions);
- A short text describing your artistic practice (500 words max). For new media, please insert within the PDF links to view videos or listen to audio tracks.