Applications for a Long-Term Residency at Jan van Eyck Academie Are Open
As a multi-disciplinary post-academic institute, the Jan van Eyck Academie (Maastricht, NL) is committed to exploring the agency, roles, and civic significance of art, design and other creative practices in relation to the climate crisis, environmental breakdown, and their manifold effects. This institutional focus aims at creating a common-ground that embraces a diversity of practices and allows for a multitude of voices.
The academie offers residency programmes to those who wish to broaden their artistic horizons and develop their art practice in depth. Each participant is equipped with a private studio, can count on the guidance of the in-house advisers and make use of the expertise of the library and Labs – Photography & Audiovisual, Material Matters, Food, Printing & Publishing and Future Materials. The departments for Nature Research, Art & Society and Research & Education support the artists in realizing their projects in collaboration with external parties and further their artistic and academic research. Next to their individual projects, participants are encouraged to collaboratively develop an In-Lab project and to contribute to the public programme.
- Lasting 11 months, your residency will start in November 2022. Upon successful acceptance into the programme, the exact starting date of your residency will be set;
- 32 up to 35 spots are available each year;
- The enrolment fee amounts to €2,750 per residency year, excluding VAT. You will receive an invoice well before the starting date of your residency;
- Participants receive a monthly stipend of €1,000 and a working budget of €2,000 annually;
- Duos or collectives can apply with 1 project proposal for 1 residency at the Jan van Eyck. If selected, they will share 1 studio and will receive an adjusted stipend of minimum 1,5 and maximum 2 stipends. The enrolment fee has to be paid only once;
- Artists with families are welcome to apply. The academy strives to support participants with families to the best of its abilities.
- Participants are expected to settle in Maastricht or direct surroundings (in a radius of 10 km) during their stay at the Jan van Eyck;
- The languages of communication at the academy are Dutch and English. It is expected from you to master the English language sufficiently to be able to converse and collaborate with fellow participants and staff members;
- The Jan van Eyck Academie is not an educational institute. Consequently, the institute does not provide degrees or certificates;
- Fill out the form
- Upload PDF with all documentation
- Fulfil payment of the registration fee
Applying is done digitally and in English via the online application form. In this form, you can upload your documentation as one single PDF file. This PDF file should not be larger than 10 MB.
For collectives: only one of you needs to fill out the form. The candidate who fills the form becomes the contact person for the academy. In the field “Name of your duo, name of your partner”, you can fill out your partner’s name and, if applicable, the name of your duo or collective.
An application consists of the following parts, preceded by a table of contents:
- a project proposal stating the goals and purpose of your stay (max. 500 words);
- first ideas concerning an In-Lab (max. 500 words);
- documentation of recent work (dating back no longer than 5 years, maximum 25 pages);
- your resume (max. 2 pages).
For more details on appliation, visit the Academie's website.
The registration fee amounts to €65 (excl. VAT) or €78.65 (incl. VAT). The payment procedure is included in the online application; when finalizing the form, you will be redirected to Paypal.
The deadline for submitting your application is 1 December 2021 Midnight (CET). So the last chance to send in your application is on Wednesday night 1 December at 23:59 / midnight.
After submitting, you will receive an automatic confirmation that we received your application. You cannot make any adjustments to your application after submitting it. If there are any questions or issues regarding your application, the organizers will contact you.
For questions, send an email to: [email protected] or call: +31(0)43 350 37 09 / +31(0)43 350 37 36
Contact persons: Solange Roosen / Liva Laure