Headlands Center for the Arts 2021
The Artist in Residence (AIR) program awards fully sponsored residencies to approximately 50 local, national, and international artists each year. Residencies of four to ten weeks include studio space, chef-prepared meals, comfortable housing, and travel and living expense reimbursements. AIRs become part of a dynamic community of artists participating in Headlands’ other programs, allowing for exchange and collaborative relationships to develop within the artist community on campus. Artists selected for this program are at all stages in their careers and work in all media, including drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, film, video, new media, installation, fiction and nonfiction writing, poetry, dance, music, interdisciplinary, social practice, and architecture.
- Fully sponsored 4- to 10-week residencies
- Paid roundtrip airfare, and up to $500 a month of either a stipend or reimbursed expenses
- 100- to 2000-sq.-foot studios
- Private bedroom in shared house
- A maximum four week stay for families in the Family House (by request only and subject to availability)
- Five chef-prepared meals per week
- Access to vehicles on-site
- Facilities access: Basic woodshop; audio/video equipment; artists’ library with computer, scanner, and printer
- Wi-Fi in designated spaces
- Up to 15 Artists in Residence living on-site
- Up to 25 Headlands artists working on-site
- Participation in monthly “Show & Tell” nights
- Participation in seasonal Open House
- Access to Headlands Public Events
- Field trips to Bay Area museums, galleries, and cultural venues
- Become part of Headlands Alumni Network
The application is online with deadline 26th June 2020.
Please note: Due to the uncertainties created by COVID-19 and its impact on the 2020 and 2021 residency seasons, the organisers have decided to waive application fees, normally $35-$45. Additionally, as they continue to assess how best to serve the 2020 Artists in Residence, please know your application for a 2021 residency may be held for consideration for 2022 instead. If that proves necessary, you will be notified and will have the opportunity to update your application.