ARCUS Project 2021 IBARAKI AiR
ARCUS Project’s artist-in-residence program provides opportunities for emerging artists in the field of contemporary art to cultivate their artistic creativity and vision. Located around an hour from Tokyo, a residency at ARCUS Studio allows participants in the program to come into contact with the contemporary art scene in Japan as well as devote themselves to their creative endeavors in a calm environment while interacting with the local community.
The residency is scheduled for September 2–December 10, 2021 (100 days). Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the above schedule is subject to change. Here you can read more about the program outline.
The applicant must:
- be an emerging artist engaged in contemporary visual arts or other related fields.
- possess a nationality other than Japanese.
- be resident outside Japan and able to enter Japan legally.
- not be enrolled at an educational institution during the program period unless it is a PhD program.
- be in a state of good health and able to carry out daily activities on his/her own.
- have an English-language ability proficient enough to communicate with other artists and staff.
The residency covers:
- Studio: 1 room (9 m [W] × 7.5 m [D] × 3.3 m [H], 67.5 m2) divided in half and shared with another artist. The studio has air conditioning and an internet connection.
The artist is required to bring/prepare the specific tools, equipment, computer, and software necessary for his/her artistic activities. Although minimum tools (e.g. drill, screwdriver, hammer, and saw, etc.) are available, studios are not equipped with professional facilities such as a workshop, studio for shooting, or editing room.
- Accommodation: Each artist is provided with a furnished studio-style apartment that includes basic electric appliances near ARCUS Studio. The artist’s partner is allowed to accompany him/her. However, the artist is solely responsible for a partner’s expenses as well as safety. Please be aware that accommodation provided by ARCUS Project is only for single occupants.
- Equipment: A bicycle is provided for each artist.
- Transportation fee: Artists from overseas: Round-trip (economy class) airfare from the international airport nearest his/her home to Narita International Airport or Tokyo International Airport is provided.
- Allowance: The artist is provided with 180,000 yen for living and other basic expenses and 450,000 yen for expenses related to any kind of his/her artistic activities. In total, 630,000yen is provided for the 100-day program period.