Jatiwangi Art Factory
Jatiwangi art Factory (JaF) is a nonprofit organization that focuses on discourses of local rural life through arts and cultural activities such as festivals, performances, visual art, music, video, ceramics, exhibitions, artist in residencies, monthly discussion, radio broadcast and education.
JaF has a bi-annual Residency Festival Program and annual Video Residency Festival that invites artists from various disciplines and countries to live, interact, cooperate with the villagers, to feel life in Jatiwangi rural society, formulate and create something that presented to everyone.
There are two residency programs:
- Individual/ Group Residency, is ongoing open call applications program.
- Residency Festival Program, is annual and bi-annual residency festival that invites artists from various disciplines and countries to live, interact, cooperate with the villagers, to feel life in Jatiwangi rural society, formulate and create something that presented to everyone. The annual residency festival program is Village Video Festival and Ceramic Music Festival, and the bi-annual residency festival program is Jatiwangi Artist in Residency Festival. More information about this program: http://panenergi.wordpress.com/
presentations, performances or exhibitions in public
Ceramic studio; broadcast studio.
A private room with a shared bathroom.
- 1 gas kiln: 150x150x150 cm in size, with temperature reaching 1200 °C
- 1 traditional kiln (wood kiln): 400x400x600 cm in size, with temperature reaching 800 °C
- 2 hand wheels
- 1 slab roller
- 1 extruder
- Casting equipment
- Stoneware clay: 1200 °C, grey
- Earthenware clay: 900-1150 °C, terracotta
- Glazes and other materials might be provided by request
*Note: it is advised to bring/to use your personal shaping tools.
Internet Connection, gallery, library, office, kitchen, computer, musical instruments, local radio station, local TV station are also available.
The Factory is located in the heart of Jatisura Village, in the middle of the residential area and adjacent to a local tile factory. Therefore, access to main roads, public transportation, convenience stores and the local market is available close by, and within walking distance.
By train: From Jakarta (3 hours) or Yogyakarta (5 hours) catch the train to Cirebon and a JaF member will pick you up. From Bandung a bus leaves from Cicaheum station, Bandung and drives directly to Jatiwangi on route to Cirebon (3-4 hours).
By plane: The closest airport is Jakarta however there are also international airports in Yogyakarta and Bandung.