Cultureland is a foundation that organizes creative work periods, projects and activities at the cutting edge of culture and nature. Starting in January 2017, Cultureland provides artists time and space to develop work relating to the landscape and natural environment. The Artist in Residency program starts in Amsterdam, where the artist or researcher can explore the cultural and scientific life the city has to offer. A kick-off meeting is set up to meet other professionals and to start a conversation about the project. After 2 weeks, the artist moves to a rural (remote) location called Buitenwerkplaats in Starnmeer. Buitenwerkplaats is surrounded by typical Dutch polder landscape. In the studio there is room to produce and reflect on the project. Halfway the residency the artist presents the project in the Storefront 181, a former shopfront on the Admiraal de Ruijterweg 181 in Amsterdam. Finally, the artist returns to Amsterdam to finalize the residency. The artist presents the results of the residency period to reflect and discus during the Artist Talk.
To help achieve the goals, the artist is asked:
• Pictures and text on the project for the website, before arrival.
• Making a display about you and your project in the Storefront at Admiraal de Ruijterweg 181 in the middle of your residency period. The storefront is a former shopwindow on the public street with a cross-section where Amsterdam residents pass-by every day. The measurements of the storefront are approximately 1.85 m high and 2.4 m wide on each side of the front-door. The depth of the storefront-space is 0.6 m.
• A photo (without text) and a text on the project towards the end of the work period, in order to announce the presentation in a newsletter and for the website.
• A life presentation of your cultureland project. People will be invited to this presentation by mail and local announcements. Drinks for this event will be provided.
• A3 (420 x 297 mm) piece of work such as a drawing, painting, image, text or 3D work, to stay in Amsterdam, adding to a series of Cultureland air works.
Both Studio's are available for the artist. The Amsterdam Studio: is a complete house; Kitchen bathroom and bedroom and a double living room used as working space and presentation space at the Artist
Talk. Buitenwerkplaats Studio: One space with a kitchen and bathroom at ground floor, sleeping at the open atic. All the rest for working.
Cultureland provides private live/work space in both Amsterdam and at Buitenwerkplaats. A bike for local transport is available at both locations.
There is always one artist in Amsterdam and one at Buitenwerkplaats. The majority of time is spent working independently, but there will be opportunities for the artists to meet.