Core Clay is a privately owned clay studio with 40+ artists sharing space. It houses a sculpting studio for a mannequin prototype sculptor and a retail space for clay supply. It hosts workshops with nationally known and local artists. Each of these areas interacts with the artists in residence. The Clay supply business offers a line of tools, clay and glaze materials available at most clay supplies, as well as the own in-house designed glazes and tools exclusive to Core Clay. This area involves formulating and mixing glazes for sale, creating plaster forms, answering phones, helping customers, and keeping inventory levels accurate.
The public studio houses 40 artists who share ideas and interact with each other artistically. One of the most valuable parts of sharing space with other artists is to see an idea work its way through the group, changing with each incarnation. This area involves general studio maintenance, kiln loading, clay pugging, teaching beginners, and glaze mixing.
The goal of the Artist in Residence Program is to provide an opportunity in an artists community for clay artists at the beginning of their careers to get a start as full time professional artists, and to create a community of artists that fosters creativity and practicality in the arts, and grows a long term group of contacts for artists long after their program has ended.
Artist in Residence Required Activities:
- Participate in monthly critique
- Minimum 5 hours per week on creation of work or clay study/research
- Participate in one or more juried exhibitions or art fairs throughout residency
- Attend or teach studio classes/workshops
- 5 hours labor each week
Artist in Residence Opportunities:
- Studio Clay outings
- Clay supplies at cost during residency
- Free firing during residency (within reason)
- Free attendance at visiting artist workshops in exchange for labor at workshop
- Free workspace during residency
- Opportunities to participate in sales at Core Clay
- Free housing in exchange for labor (quantity of labor depends on housing situation)
- Opportunities for employment at local clay businesses
Resident is provided with an apartment, rent free in exchange for a certain number of hours of work per week in the studio.