Arthaus Artist Residency is open to artists and curators looking for an immersive experience in their work or research. Their main goal is to advance the selected artists’ professional and artistic development by offering a space for creative practice and experimentation, with the guidance and support of the residency’s staff and associates.
For the Spring 2019 experience, the organizers intend to contribute to the visibility of emerging contemporary artists within the framework of the 13th Havana Biennial. Arthaus will participate as a collateral space of the Biennial, along with many other Cuban-run independent spaces and official galleries.
The Arthaus Residency Program for international artists and curators consists of two production and exhibition residencies, running from April to May 2019, and will host 8 artists/curators (4 residents per program) with projects within the field of contemporary art (any discipline: visual arts, performance, writing, poetry, music, sound art, installations, etc.). Each selected resident will have the opportunity to develop and present their work in the context of the13th Havana Biennial.
From April 12 to May 12, 2019 the13th Havana Biennial will take place, the largest visual arts event in Cuba. Under the general theme The Construction of the Possible, the next edition will be presented as a space for those types of contemporary art that understand creation as a "living event or experience in progress". Within the 13th Biennial, art spaces, galleries, residencies, and workshops open their doors to be part of a collateral experience, where Biennial attendees engage with spaces and creators working outside of mainstream institutional context.
The artists will participate in the residency with the project proposed in their application. Each project will be carried out from practice, essay, production and research during the 21 days of residence, ending with a final presentation in the context of the 13th Havana Biennial. Arthaus organizes monthly events and regularly coordinates collective art projects with a wide network of local artists and art spaces. Participants are encouraged to collaborate with local art professionals, propose talks and workshops, and learn about the sociocultural scenario in Cuba. Proposed activities during your stay at Arthaus Residency:
- Development and production of the project proposed by each resident.
- Meetings open to the community, which may include portfolio reviews / exchanges, presentation of previous works, and topical lectures / presentations.
- Visits to cultural spaces and workshops of Cuban artists.
- Participation in seminars, open talks and any other activities proposed by Arthaus and activities proposed by the 13th Havana Biennial.
- Final presentation of each project developed in the course of the Arthaus Residency collateral to official 13th Havana Biennial.
- One exhibition space (54 m2) with video projection capability.
- A joint work space with office supplies and laptops available.
- A private live-in art studio.
All rooms and exhibition spaces are within the main house, with access to the Arthaus common areas, patio, dining room, shared bathroom and kitchen.
- A private studio with a single bed, private work space, bathroom and kitchen.
- A private room with a double bed and private bathroom.
- A private room with two single beds and private bathroom.
Each resident will be offered:
- Work and meeting space.
- Space for exhibition of their projects.
- Use of media production equipment (projectors, cameras, lights, sound, video editing suite, etc.)
- Technical and curatorial assistance for the development of their projects and the final presentation within the context of the 13th Havana Biennial 2019.