AiR Platform NL visiting New Orleans
April 5 - 7, 2016 New Orleans, US
The Alliance of Artists Communities organized 2016 Emerging Program Institute at the Joan Mitchell Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. This conference aka bootcamp brought together more than 50 emerging artist-in-residence programs from the United States. The program combined best practices from the arts-and-cultural sector with specific, hands-on information about artists' residencies and most importantly, a community of peers. AiR Platform NL took part in sharing experience for AiR organizers from the artist perspective in small workshops sessions.
Topics on the agenda included
- community engagement and the relevance of place
- building a support base and funding your program
- distinguishing yourself and making the case
- creating a selection process that matches artists with mission
- business planning for artist residencies
- "ask an expert" panels of residency leaders, trustees, lawyers, artists, and others
- case studies, site visits, and more
Detailed documents concerning strategic planning, regulations, contracts, selection procedures were shared and reflected upon. The program was a great connector and a valuable recource for both starting and professional programs. We look forward to further exchange and collaboration between the AiR networks in the US and the Netherlands.
To be continued.