Vermont Studio Center Fellowship
Vermont Studio Center Fellowship
The Vermont Studio Center is a vibrant, diverse community of artists situated in Vermont's northern Green Mountains. Each month they welcome more than 50 writers and visual artists from across the country and around the globe to their historic campus along the Gihon River in the town of Johnson, Vermont. Residencies range from 2 to 12 weeks and offer residents unrestricted time for creative work, along with daily opportunities to engage with fellow artists. The monthly program includes slide nights, readings, open studios, gallery openings, and optional studio visits and conferences with the Visiting Artists and Writers. Every VSC residency opportunity includes private room, private studio space, all meals and full access to the schedule of evening programs and events. Admission is competitive and based on review of a portfolio or manuscript.
Special fellowships for visual artists:
- VSC/Pollock-Krasner Foundation Fellowship - Five fellowships (5) for visual artists of outstanding talent from the United States.
- David Bermant Foundation Fellowship - One (1) fellowship for a visual artist focused on kinetic art, including sound sculpture, performance, and art that incorporates time, motion, and change. Preference will be given to work that draws its form, content and materials from current technology.
- Civil Society Institute Fellowship - One (1) fellowship for an east coast artist of color with demonstrable financial need. The $25 application fee is waived for eligible CSI applicants. Award includes a $500 travel stipend. ELIGIBILITY: To be considered for this award, please complete the cultural background portion of VSC’s application and include financial documentation (a copy of the first page of your most recent income tax return, a recent W-2, a statement of need, etc.). Preference will be given to those artists with current addresses in the New Haven, Jersey City, and Baltimore areas.
- Marshall Frankel Fellowship for Chicago Artists and SAIC Alumni - One (1) fellowship sponsored by the Marshall Frankel Foundation. This award is open to all Chicago-area artists, as well as faculty and alumni of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. ELIGIBILITY: To be considered for this award, please provide a current Chicagoland address and/or verification of your affiliation with SAIC.
- Jon Imber Painting Fellowship - One (1) fellowship in honor of VSC friend and Visiting Artist Jon Imber, who lost his battle with ALS in April 2014. The fellowship will be awarded to a painter whose work embodies the spirit of Jon Imber.
- Zeta Orionis Fellowship - One (1) fellowship for a female painter, age 45 or older, living and working in the U.S. Award based on merit.
Special fellowships for writers:
- Henry David Thoreau Fellowship - One (1) fellowship for a poet whose creative work directly engages environmental issues and embodies the life, work, and spirit of Henry David Thoreau. ELIGIBILITY: To be considered, please include a brief statement (250 words or less) that describes how your poetry engages environmental issues and embodies the life, work, and spirit of Henry David Thoreau.
- VSC/Cave Canem Fellowship - One (1) 4-week fellowship for a Cave Canem Fellow. Includes $1,000 stipend. The $25 application fee is waived for eligible applicants. ELIGIBILITY: Please indicate when you were a Cave Canem Fellow.
- VSC/Institute for American Indian Arts (IAIA) Creative Writing Fellowship - One (1) 4-week residency open to Native writers who are alumni of the MFA Creative Writing program at the Institute of American Indian Arts (IAIA) for a residency to be scheduled between October 2016 and August 2017. This award includes roundtrip travel to Vermont Studio Center and a $500 stipend. ELIGIBILITY: Please indicate when you graduated from the MFA Creative Writing program at IAIA.
- VSC/Kundiman Fellowship - One (1) month-long residency fellowship for a Kundiman Fellow. Includes $1,000 stipend.The $25 application fee is waived for eligible applicants ELIGIBILITY: Please indicate when you were a Kundiman Fellow.
- UMass Amherst Alumni Fellowship in Poetry One (1) two-week residency fellowship for alumni of the University of Massachusetts Amherst MFA in Poetry. Eligibility: Please indicate when you graduated from the UMass Amherst MFA in Poetry program.
The application is online, with deadline 15th June. There is an application fee of $25.00.