Van Eyck Academie open call
Van Eyck Academie open call
The Van Eyck invites artists, designers, architects, landscape architects, curators, critics, writers to apply for a residency at the Jan van Eyck Academie for 6 to 12 months. As of this year, with the installation of the new director Hicham Khalidi, they would also like to encourage fashion designers to apply for a work period at the Van Eyck in order to deepen and broaden the scope of their work.
Every applicant shares the belief that insight comes through exchange with other: insight in the meaning of things, in your own practice, in the (art) world. Apply if you need the time and space that is needed to develop your talents, to discover as yet unexplored perspectives and delve into deeper layers of yourself. The multiform character of the Van Eyck appeals to the artistic and intellectual versatility of the participants and enables them to deepen and ramify their talents and skills in the short and long run. The work of the participants is the effect and the result of various interlinked processes. It especially testifies to an art practice that is investigative and committed.
- A residency at the Jan van Eyck Academie varies between 6–12 months. A residency can start from April to September 2019. The starting date of your residency is determined by the Van Eyck.
- 32 up to 35 spots are available each year.
- Participants are generally between 22–41 years of age.
- Artists who previously have been in resident at another post academic institute (Rijksakademie, De Ateliers) in the Netherlands, cannot apply for a work period at the Van Eyck.
- The enrolment fee at the Van Eyck amounts to €2,750 at an annual basis. For stays that are shorter or longer than 12 months, pro rata amounts apply (so for example 6 months = €1,375). The enrolment fee should be paid before 21 January 2019
- Participants receive a monthly stipend of €900 and a working budget of €2,000 annually.
- Duo’s or collectives can apply with 1 project proposal for 1 residency at the Van Eyck. When selected they will share 1 studio and 1 stipend. In that case the enrolment fee has to be paid only once.
- Participants are expected to settle in Maastricht or direct surroundings (in a radius of 10 km) during their stay at the Van Eyck.
Applying is done digitally and in English via the online application form. The deadline for submitting your application is 1 October 2018 Midnight (CEST Timezone). The registration fee is €70. The payment procedure is included in the online application: on finalizing the form you will be redirected to Paypal where you can pay the fee.
In the online application form you can upload your documentation as one PDF file. This PDF file should not be larger than 10 MB. An application consists of the following parts, preceded by a table of contents:
- a project proposal stating goals and purpose of your stay (max. 500 words)
- first ideas concerning an In-Lab (max. 500 words)
- documentation of recent work (dating back no longer than 5 years, maximum 25 pages, 1 or 2 images per page)
- your resume (max. 2 pages)
For voluminous files (like videos), please insert a link to the server/website/You Tube/Vimeo where the file can be viewed. Please make sure all the links to external sites work. Double-check your links in the final PDF before submitting it. If links do not work, the selection committee cannot review your application correctly. The links should be active for at least up to two months after the deadline has passed.
- Keep in mind that most of the applications are initially viewed on a horizontal screen (laptop); so place your work in horizontal slides (unless the original work is vertical).
- Make sure you place only one or two works per slide (combining too many works makes the page illegible).
- Please insert title, material, size and year of the work next to or under the image on the same slide.