Studio XX Open Call
Studio XX Open Call
Studio XX’s residencies offer an opportunity for artists to experiment and produce work which explores interdisciplinary ideas and approaches. They respond to the technical, creative and theoretical requirements of the artists by offering references to their network of community experts, whose involvement must be arranged by the artist herself/himself. For a period of six weeks, resident artists have access to a dedicated workspace (shared space), with a computer suited to a range of media projects. Residents receive an artist fee, technical support and free access to all Studio XX workshops and equipment. The completed production or the work-in- progress will be publicly presented at XX event dedicated to our artists-in- residence. There are three open residencies offered per year. Completely open and self-directed, this residency is for artists who wish to research something new, deepen the experimentation of a current project in development, or put the finishing touches to a production.
All submissions are reviewed by a Selection Committee projects are based on the following criteria:
- work created by artists self-identifying as female, women, trans, dissenting or gender non-conforming;
- innovation in both content and form: web art, network art, digital video or audio, interdisciplinary practices, installation, or multimedia performance;
- works that can be explored, produced or experimented with the resources available at Studio XX (equipment, technical knowledge, financial resources).
Selection of applicants is based on two of the following criteria:
- the residency will have a significant impact on the artist’s career in the media arts
- XX’s mandate for experimentation and creativity must be reflected in the selected projects.
- the work selected must demonstrate a relevant and innovative expression of theoretical, political, feminist and/or social engagement.
Residencies are six weeks in length. Accepted proposals receive the following from Studio XX:
- $1,000 artist's fee
- technical support*
- access to the Studio's equipment
- participation in certain workshops
- dedicated workspace for the artist
- dissemination of the project through Studio’s programming and platforms: events, HTMlles Festival, XX Files radio show, on-line Matricules archives, etc.
* To be defined according to the parameters of each project and the available resources.
Residencies DO NOT include travel costs, accommodation, or per diem. The artist is responsible for her living arrangements while in Montreal. Studio XX can provide letters of support to artists who wish to apply for travel funding ONLY if their projects are selected.