OCAT RESIDENCY open call
OCAT RESIDENCY open call
Since 2006, OCAT Shenzhen has been organized 9 sessions of “OCAT Residency”. The 2019 program is planned to be held from September 1 to November 30. The invitees undertake the residency no less than two months. They welcome artists, curators, designers, architects, scientists, historians, cultural researchers, various researches and writers from all over the world to involve in the project. It is hoped that through this project, a dialogue platform will be set up between artists with different disciplines and cultural backgrounds to promote the exchange and interaction between artistic ecology in Shenzhen (and its surrounding areas) and residents, and to further facilitate the establishment of sustainable international exchanges among OCAT museum group.
Infrastructure and facilities: OCAT has four well decorated residences. Each residence owns a studio and living space. Basic working and living facilities include WIFI internet, furniture, TV set, telephone, washing machine, bathing equipment, air conditioners, fridge, kitchenware and bedding. Specific demands and technical enquiry should be put forward before recipients arriving in Shenzhen so as to be solved in time.
Recipients will be provided with:
- A round-trip ticket from your city to Shenzhen (economy fare).
- Health and life insurance during the residency.
- The sum of 3,000 Yuan (RMB) per month per recipient for the cost of living (meals, traffic, communication and etc.) during the residency. (100 Yuan per day, will provide living cost according to the number of days the Recipients stay).
- The sum of 1,200 Yuan (RMB) per month per recipient for the cost of materials and researching works during the residency (Formal invoice is needed for reimbursement. Special circumstances require communication with the staff in advance).
The above funds and accommodation are provided according to the standard of one-person treatment for applicants in a combined form (except air tickets and insurance). In addition to the OCAT commitments, all other expenses incurred during the stay will be borne by the residents themselves.
Responsibility of Recipients:
- Submit documents and residency proposal as requested and achieve the project you mentioned in your proposal when the residency ends.
- During the residency: Communicate and coordinate with OCAT team; attend the events and exhibitions organized by OCAT Shenzhen; communicate with the local artists and art organizations in Shenzhen and surrounding cities. Open your studio from time to time and make lectures to the local public.
- Put in a report to summarize your residency experience.
OCAT Shenzhen welcomes applicants from any creative fields from all parts of the world. The deadline for applications in 2019 is March 31. OCAT Shenzhen will notify all applicants of the results by e-mail before Mid June. All applications will be submitted to OCAT Academic Committee and OCAT Shenzhen. Recipients are voted on by members of the committee and OCAT Shenzhen together. Some applicants will be nominated by OCAT Academic Committee, local and international cooperative organizations or curators and artists with cooperative experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A completed application form
- For artists: One page of latest resume, including your educational background, important solo and group exhibitions, awards and bibliography. For researchers, curators, writers and practitioners in various fields: One page of latest resume, including your educational background, research achievement or curatorial experience and awards.
- For artists: a portfolio of works including pictures, words or video. Please clearly indicate the title, media, size and time of creation. For researchers, curators, writers and practitioners in various fields: please submit 1 - 2 papers published in regular publications or other descriptions of significant work results.
- A proposal concisely describing your application objective and your work plans that you will complete during your stay.
- The subject and brief introduction of the speech you will make during your residency.
- Three letters of recommendation from people who know you well.
(Please submit the materials of 1,2,4 and 5 in both English and Chinese. For group application, please complete 1 and 2 in personal form and 3,4,5 in group form). The above materials can be sent by email to [email protected].