Guandu Nature Park 2017
Guandu Nature Park 2017
Guandu Nature Park is inviting entries to 2017 Guandu International Nature Art Festival “With Paths Crisscrossing". The selected artists will create their artworks in a natural setting using only natural or eco-friendly materials during a 5-week residency in Guandu Nature Park in Taipei, Taiwan. Artists who are concerned about the relationship between humans and nature are welcome to apply:
- Candidates should be interested in the relationship between nature, human, and environment and committed not to harm the environment during artwork creation.
- Candidates should have experiences in working with volunteers, local residents, or students. While working on their artworks, they should be able to spark interest of general public to participate in the process of such artistic creation.
- For the foreign candidates, it is required to have basic English conversation skills to communicate with the staff of Guandu Nature Park and the ability to mingle with other artists, local residents, and students.
- Candidates should prepare a presentation to share their experience and previous artworks.
- Artists as a group is eligible to apply. However, the organizer will offer only one funding for the group. Artists should agree to share all the funding & support without dispute.
- Use only environmental friendly materials.
- Use local materials first.
- Stability and secureness: The artwork should be made to last at least 3 months or more. It should also be designed to weather gracefully over time and reveal the different stages as it decays. For safety concerns, the Park retains the authority to dispose or dismantle the artwork.
- Community involvement: Artists will work with volunteers and local residents to create their artworks. Public participation is one of the key elements of this event.
The artists will be provided with the following:
- Artist's fee NTD$ 80,000. According to the income tax rule in Taiwan, the organizer will deduct tax from the payment based on the applicable rate (e.g. 20% for non-resident) stipulated in the law. Therefore the actual amount the artists receive will be less than NTD$ 80,000. The organizer will pay this fee by New Taiwan Dollars in cash.
- A round-trip airfare (economy class.) From artist's residency country to Taiwan. The reimbursement does not include the costs associated with passport & visa expenses. Artist will have to book the ticket and pay the fee in advance by him/herself. The organizer will pay the reimbursement by New Taiwan Dollars in cash after artist's arrival in Taiwan.
- An airport pick-up will be provided on the arrival day.
- Accommodation. From September 30, 2017 (check-in) to November 6, 2017 (check-out). Each artist will receive accommodation in a single room with individual bathroom. For anyone accompany the artist, an additional bed and meal will be charged by the hotel accordingly.
- Materials support. The organizer will assist to collect on-site natural materials (e.g. reed, wood, stone, bamboo, leaf etc.) or recycled objects. The organizer has a shared budget for all artists for purchasing materials like hemp ropes, eco-paints, bamboo etc. Artists who need to purchase materials must consult with the curator first.
- Meals. Buffet breakfast will be served at the hotel. Lunch will be provided by Guandu Nature Park every working day. Dinners are not included. The average cost for a meal in Taiwan is between NTD$ 80- 300.
To apply please e-mail the following files to [email protected] before 6th August:
- Personal CV. Include your background and experience, awards, and past exhibitions. Be sure to include your full name, current mailing address, phone number, and nationality.
- Your motivations. Explain why you want to apply for our event and the specific environment issues that you care about. (max. 1 page)
- An artwork proposal. Include a brief description and a simple sketch. Artists can refine or modify their proposal to fit the space after the field study and site observation.
- A portfolio of your previous artworks. Please introduce 6 of your previous related works with details of title, date of completion, the material used, and venue where they were exhibited.
They will only accept doc. or pdf. files for document and jpg. or jpeg. files for images. The size of each images file should be between 500KB to 1MB.