GENERATOR Open Call
GENERATOR Open Call
Initiated and carried out by 40mcube, in partnership with the company Self Signal, GENERATOR is a professional training for young visual artists and a residency for curators.
A committee of professionals composed of an exhibition curator or an art centre director, an artist and a representative of 40mcube selects four visual artists each year, who have graduated for at least two years, and gives them the means to fully focus on their artistic practice for a period of seven months. They develop and deepen their research work, produce works, build their professional networks and acquire good practices (administrative, legal, social, etc.). GENERATOR offers individualized support, a studio, financing and privileged meetings with contemporary art professionals in France and abroad.
GENERATOR selects two to four curators each year for a one-month prospecting trip in Brittany. They meet artists and professionals who live there and write one or two texts on the work of the artists in the program. GENERATOR offers each of them a workspace, funding and privileged meetings with contemporary art professionals in Brittany. With the collaboration of the art centres La Criée (Rennes) and Passerelle (Brest), Frac Bretagne, the Archives de la critique d’art (Rennes), Documents d’artistes Bretagne and a.c.b. - contemporary art in Bretagne, this programme brings together and makes available to young artists and curators the critical and technical skills gathered in Brittany, a dynamic territory composed of numerous contemporary art structures dedicated to the exhibition, collection, research and publishing.
Professional training for visual artists (from November 3, 2020 to May 28, 2021):
- Individualized support for the development of the artists’ work
- Technical assistance for the production of works
- Networking with companies
- Critical contribution by professionals: artists, theorists, directors of institutions, critics, exhibition curators, gallery owners, etc.
- Proposals for various professional experiences : workshop, conference, exhibi-tion organization, etc.
- Time for administrative, legal and accounting training
- Research time. Artists can use the collection of the Archives de la critique d’art, the documentation of Frac Bretagne, the library of the Université Rennes 2 and the library of the European School of Art in Brittany, in particular.
Allowance and support:
- Research allowance: 3000 euros (before tax)
- Production costs: 3000 euros (on presentation of invoices)
- Housing assistance under certain conditions
- Search for specific and individualized funds
- Providing a workshop and an equipped collective production platform.
GENERATOR is open to emerging visual artists working in all disciplines, without any geographical or age limit. The following documents must be sent by e-mail to [email protected], in a single zip file that gathers all the elements. In order to enable the proper management of your application, you should named your zip file as follow: «LASTNAME_firstname_generator7_application_artist». Deadline 22nd June 2020:
- Portfolio with Curriculum Vitae: Exhibition catalogues can accompany the artistic portfolio. The videos must be visible on the Internet via Vimeo or other means.
- Cover letter including a research proposal, outlining their plans for the program. This proposal does not have to be definitive and can change during the course of the program.
- Signed letter indicating the candidate’s availability for the entire programperiod, i.e. 7 months.
International residence for curators (One month: March or April 2021):
- Meetings with professionals from the artistic scene in Brittany: artists, critics, curators, etc.
- Research time. The curators can use the collection of the Archives de la critique d’art, the documentation of Frac Bretagne, the library of the Université Rennes 2 and the library of the European School of Art in Brittany
Allowance and support:
- Research allowance: 1000 euros (before tax)
- Transport from and to the usual place of residence (by air or train)
- Providing accommodation
- Providing a workspace with Internet connection
GENERATOR is open to curators, without any geographical or age limit. The following documents must be sent by e-mail to [email protected], in a single zip file that gathers all the elements. In order to enable the proper management of your application, you should named your zip file as follow: «LASTNAME_firstname_generator7_application_curators». Deadline 22nd June 2020:
- Presentation of the research. Catalogs and other texts may accompany the file.
- Covering letter
- Signed letter specifying the availability of the candidate for both periods (March and April 2021)