DANCE BOX Residency Program 2019
DANCE BOX Residency Program 2019
DANCE BOX Residency Program is an artist-in-residence program focuses on performing arts based in the theater space ArtTheater dB KOBE. They seek for an artist who works under the theme of “Arts and Folk Entertainments Relating to Transfer/ Transplant of Cultures and Migrants”. The organizers place primary emphasis on experimentation and the process rather than focusing on the end result of the artists’ production.
- Applicants must reside outside of Japan.
- An artist doesn't need to be a dancer or a choreographer. Depending on a program or concept of research, they are interested in people who are working/researching about body-movements; performing arts and are hoping for applicants who are doing a research related to those fields.
- The final presentation of residence research is expected to be in a style of lecture, installation, exhibition using video, or performance. Depends on the concept of the residency program, the artist would be able to present own past performance / exhibition.
Stipulations and requirements effecting residency program:
- DANCE BOX is unable to provide artists with a living stipend or funds not detailed in this description.
- During the stay, the artist is required to give at least one workshop or lecture for local residents.
- During the stay, the artist should be self-reliant in terms of planning and actualizing their project.
- The artist must be mentally and physically healthy.
- DANCE BOX does not provide insurance. Therefore the artist is responsible to secure insurance for their residency period.
- For accommodation details please refer to information below. The artist is expected to maintain friendly relations with neighbors or other resident artists in their place of residence.
- After returning to his or her home country artist is required to give a debriefing session.
- The organizers hope the artist to be a person who is trouble-free and capable of working with local people, staffs and assistants.
- Airfare (up to 150,000 JPY), accommodation, domestic transportation expenses (up to 20,000 JPY), and daily pay (5,000 JPY/ per day) will be furnished by DANCE BOX.
- DANCE BOX will provide staff and spaces for the final exhibition or performance. Material costs for rehearsal process, performance and exhibition will be covered (up to 100,000 JPY).
- DANCE BOX will be responsible for supplying the necessary personnel to support artist’s creation.
- The artist will share the theater space with other artists and any other of Dance Box programs. The theater space will be available during periods when it is not reserved. The artist will need to confirm the schedule of using the theatre by negotiating with DANCE BOX. When the theatre is not available DANCE BOX will provide other spaces such as community halls. However the requirements of the artists might not meet always with the condition of those spaces.
- The artist is permitted and encouraged to attend dance classes and performances that are hosted by DANCE BOX free of charge.
Please submit the application form by email with deadline 24 June. Please prepare the application within two pages. If the application forms becomes over two pages, it will be omitted from the selection. Please submit video/photo documentation of previous art works. Submitting a link to videos uploaded to a website is acceptable (e.g. Vimeo, youtube etc.), Please do NOT email any video files as an attachment. After your application has been received by DANCE BOX you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation response in three days, please resubmit your application.