1. Access to free studio space and supplies at 4017 Lancaster Avenue
2. $2500/month stipend to offset living and housing costs (for a maximum of three months).
3. Committed funding for service projects and hybrid service/artistic projects, which will be allocated and negotiated on a project-by-project basis.
1. Housing will not be provided, though assistance finding affordable housing for visiting artists will be offered according to need.
2. Travel costs to/from West Philadelphia
Have a look here (pdf) for the 2014 guidelines.
Time Exchange -- an initiative that will explore how embedded artistic practice can be a platform for social change -- conceived by the founders of Broken City Lab, who will be curating the residency in collaboration with the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program and the People's Emergency Center. Time Exchange offers an unparalleled opportunity for artists to explore the complex and necessary, if uncharted, role that responsible and accountable creative practice can play in a challenged and changing neighborhood. At the core of Time Exchange are a series of artist residencies spanning one to three months housed in a newly-renovated studio space at the intersection of a diverse array of communities in West Philadelphia.
Time Exchange invites artists to engage their personal, autonomous artistic practice within the space of a studio, while also providing a platform for contributing to projects that directly and positively impact the surrounding community. In exchange for free studio space, a monthly stipend, and the basic tools and supplies, artists will provide skill and time-based resources for the surrounding communities, working on civic projects suggested by residents and community-based organizations.
Studio storefront space: 1,600 square feet. ADA accessible. Is a publicly accessible meeting space and clean studio space. Standard media tools: computer, printer, projector, and movable walls are provided.
Basement space: 1,700 square feet. Includes standard power tools. Additional supplies can be provided.
Update my listing
If you see an error or omission on this page, please let us know by filling out the update form.
Add your experience
If you would like to share your experience with this residency, please let us know by filling out this form.