IEM – Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics
IEM Music Residency Program 2019
The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics is a department of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz founded in 1965. It is a leading institution in its field, with more than 35 staff members of researchers and artists. IEM offers education to students in composition and computer music, sound engineering, sound design, contemporary music performance, and musicology. It is well connected to the University of Technology, the University of Graz as well as to the University of Applied Sciences Joanneum through three joint study programs.
The artwork produced at IEM is released through the Institute's own Open CUBE and Signale concert series, as well as through various collaborations with international artists and institutions.
The residency is aimed at individuals wishing to pursue projects in performance, composition, installation, sound art, development of tools for art production, and related areas. Individuals are asked to submit a project proposal that is related to the fields of artistic research of the IEM, as:
- Algorithmic Composition
- Algorithmic Experimentation
- Dynamical Systems
- Experimental Game Design
- Live Coding
- Sonic Interaction Design
- Spatialization/higher-order Ambisonics
- Standard and non-standard Sound Synthesis
From applicants, it is expected:
- A project proposal that adds new perspectives to the Institute's activities and resonates well with the interests of IEM;
- Willingness to work on-site in Graz for the most part of the Residency;
- Willingness to exchange and share ideas, knowledge and results with IEM staff members and students, and engage in scholarly discussions;
- The ability to work independently within the Institute;
- A dissemination strategy as part of the project proposal that ensures the publication of the work, or documentation thereof, in a suitable format. This could be achieved for example through the release of media, journal or conference publication, a project website, or other means that help to preserve the knowledge gained through the Music Residency and make it available to the public;
- A public presentation as e.g. a concert or installation, which presents the results of the Artist Residency.
No accommodation provided!
Music production studios with the capability of producing 3d audio (higher order ambisonics).
- 24/7 access to the facilities of the IEM
- Exchange with competent and experienced staff members
- A desk in a shared office space for the entire period and access to studios including the CUBE , according to availability
- Extensive access to the studios of the IEM during the period from July 1st until end of September
- Access to the IKOsahedron loudspeaker 
- Access to the “Autoklavierspieler” 
- Infrared motion tracking systems
- Regular possibilities for contact and exchange with peers from similar or other disciplines.
- Concert and presentation facilities (CUBE 24 channel loudspeaker concert space).