Akiyoshidai International Art Village
Akiyoshidai International Art Village
The Residence Support Program provides a time and place for artists to experience new encounters and carry out experiments to guide their future projects. Participating artists are expected to bring new ideas to the local culture and people while they, in turn, will hopefully acquire new perspectives through these fresh encounters. As a result of the residence program, the artists will convey their new experiences, gathered from the local lifestyle and the particular geographic situation, to their next destination.
The residency period is starting 14 January until 9 March 2018 [55 days]. The themeof thsi open call is "The Future of This Land". 3 artists (2 international and 1 Japanese), 40 years old or under will be selected. Eligibility - artists must be able to:
- work on the theme of the open call
- communicate in English or Japanese
- stay at AIAV during the designated period of time.
- participate in all pubic programs, e.g. open studio, opening reception, exhibition, etc., and to create new works.
- participate in the exchange programs for local community, e.g. talks, lectures and outreach programs.
- provide images and documentations, e.g. pictures and videos, for publicity and archiving in accordance with AIAV’s request.
- take part in educational programs at local schools and universities in English or Japanese.
- work and live independently.
- present the results of the residence program, e.g. exhibitions, reviews or talks outside Japan within a year after the program.
- Travel expenses: A one time round trip from your neighboring international airport to AIAV (Economy class air tickets for international flights, domestic flights and/or domestic railway tickets)
- Accommodation at AIAV (private room with bath/toilet)
- Studio (assignment will be arranged after due deliberation: artists may have to share with others)
- Production expenses: 200,000 yen (For each group)
- Per diem: 2,800 yen x days of the program (Per person)
Copyright and Publicity:
- Artworks produced during the program belong to the artists.
- Images, taken during the program, e.g. photos of the artists and exhibition views, belong to AIAV.
- Artists are expected to be cooperative when photographed and asked to participate in publicity, e.g. for newspaper interviews.
- Artists may be asked to loan or donate their pieces of work.
Important note: Artists should install and deinstall their work by themselves.Also they have to pack their work and pay shipping costs if necessary. Artists are not allowed to be accompanied by anyone for the program. When their guests visit AIAV, they can stay at the cost approximately 3,080 yen /night (prices differ according to room types). Artists should use a common kitchen to prepare their own meals during their stay. Income tax will be imposed on those from the countries that do not have tax treaty with Japan.
Applications must be received by midnight, July 31, 2017 by email to email@example.com. To apply please submit your application with the following items.
- Completed application form (individual or group) with your profile picture
- Portfolio. Please choose either from option 1or 2 below.
- 10 still images (jpeg, 72dpi, maximum dimension 1000px): please label your images such as (JaneDoe_01.jpg, JaneDoe_02jpg…) so that the number of each image corresponds with the number provided on the slide description sheet on the application form.
- Provide a link to a video uploaded on the website such as Youtube, Vimeo. You can only submit 1 video that is no longer than 5 minutes.
- Articles and reviews from catalogues, newspapers and magazines, if you have any (should be submitted in PDF format, up to 3 articles).
Please put all the materials in 1 folder and compress as a zip file. The subject line of your email should be “trans_2017-2018 Application”