2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games
2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games
Celebrating 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games, Arts Council Korea is pleased to announce an open call for young emerging artists around the world to participate International Residency Deep in the Mountains. It is an international performing & visual arts residency program certified by PyeongChang Culture Olympic Games is organized as a part of nurturing culture projects.
Running under the slogan of 2018 PyeongChang Olympic Games “Passion Connected,” Deep in the Mountains is consist of two major parts out of its 40-day program; one is touring around PyeongChang, the host city of the 2018 Winter Olympic games and Gangwon-do Province, which will help participants deepen their understanding in nature and cultural aspects of Korea. And the other is a residency activity such as creating artworks, collaborating with fellow resident artists. This international residency program is also initiated to support artists to encourage creative projects or art making that converges and encompasses diverse genres of arts and culture. Additionally, participating artists are invited to some unique opportunities such as networking with local residents and art professionals in Korea, to attend academic programs, workshops, and etc. Artworks produced during Deep in the Mountains residency will be presented both in PyeongChang and Seoul as forms of performance, exhibition, video, publication and more.
- International Residency Deep in the Mountains is open to 20 artists including 5 artists from Korea and 15 from overseas between the age of 25 (born in 1992) and 39 (born in 1978) practicing disciplines of music, dance and visual arts.
- Highly proficient in spoken English
- Should be able to obtain visa to travel Korea (if applicable)
- Participating artists should be able to make a commitment to stay in Korea for 40 days, the whole duration of the residency program.
- To participate in performance and exhibitions at the end of residency.
- Date for final performance or exhibition at the end of the residency: October 20th, Friday (date & time subject to change)
- Collaborative work production: Interpreting and recreating the "Kannoh Mask-Play," a traditional Korean masquerade play in Gangwon-do province by collaborating with fellow residency artists in music, dance, and visual arts for approximately an hour-long performance. (Kannoh Mask-Play is a traditional Korean drama intergrading masks, costumes, and props in a movement-based play. It is also the only silent performance in Korea that’s focused on dance traditionally performed during the GangNeung Danoje Festival. Kannoh, meaning a social status in the old days, poses as a protagonist whose character is being ridiculed by the heroin - the beauty- and other supporting characters with full of satire.)
- Individual or team-oriented missions for collaborative works
- Production of individual artworks: only applicable for visual artists
- To run education programs and workshops with local residents.
Benefits for participants
- Round trip airfare
- Daily meal, accommodation, and transportation during the residency program
- To take part in tours in cultural, historical and natural environment around Gangwon Province including venue cities of 2018 PyeongChang Olympic Games: PyeongChang, Gangneung, Jeongson
- Stipend (500,000 KRW)
- Support for artwork production (only applicable for visual artists)
- Support for performance and exhibition production showcasing the outcome of the residency program
- Networking and promotion opportunities with Korean artists and art professionals
- Application form
- 2 photos of artworks/ activities
- Visual arts: URL as a proof of visual art work (youtube, websites etc.); portfolio with more than 20 images and scanned copies of media coverage or reviews on applicants’ previous exhibitions or art works.
- Dance: 2 video footages of applicants’ performance.
- Music: URL as a proof of music works (youtube, websites etc.) and 2 recorded pieces (MP3) either composed or played by applicants
The application including supporting materials must be emailed to email@example.com by 31st March 2017.